[amsat-bb] Re: MMSSTV and ARRISat-1

Burns Fisher burns at fisher.cc
Fri Dec 30 12:35:01 PST 2011

I've had good luck with MMSSTV using a Fun Cube Dongle, SDR-Radio and then
Virtual Audio Cable to get the audio from SDR-Radio to MMSSTV (all on the
same PC).  Today I threw in a 4KHz filter from SDR_Radio and that seems to
improve the S/N ratio.  There was a lot of noise removed by that filter.

BTW, I picked up Farrell's license plate quite cleanly around 1800z
although I did not get the start clearly enough to lock onto, so the
picture has the top cut off.

I also noticed some idle in both the telemetry and the FM.   A few times I
seemed to be getting strong telemetry but got only Kursk frames, or 5 Kursk
and 1 satellite.  Another time, there was no FM audio for 10 or 15 seconds
although there was a carrier.  Oddly the telemetry continued, but the CW
over on the edge of the telemetry band stopped.  I'm not sure I get that,
although looking at the code on the satellite might show something.  At one
point I certainly saw the little guy in low power mode, but the dropouts I
mention above are not that.  The transmitter was still on....

Burns, W2BFJ