[amsat-bb] Re: Two Meter TV Interference

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 01:06:45 PST 2011

At 04:55 PM 12/7/2011, Clint Bradford wrote:
>It is your neighbor's sub-par electronics that are not properly
>filtered/insulated. But no one wants to hear that they need to purchase
>a new audio-visual system so a neighbor can play with amateur radio ... (grin)
>
>This is one of our greatest "public relations" problems with the
>hobby: Educating non-hams as to what we are doing, why it might cause
>interference in their setups, and why we like ugly antennas ...
>
>First - 50W for '50 and '27 is ridiculously high power. You are
>crippling yourself with sub-par antennas for working the LEOs. I mean, a
>fifteen dollar tape measure beam and a single Watt gets the job done.

Yep, don't forget that a good antenna and QRP will go a LONG way
towards reducing TVI.  I've found a few Watts near the horizon down
to 200mW at high elevation is all most of the FM birds need, if you
have a decent directional antenna.  And a directional antenna will
also mean less TVI for the neighbour.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com