Frequently Asked Questions:
This document describes the changes that have been made to the
Frequently-Asked Questions page since its initial
- Version 2.22 - September 22, 2007
- Added a section on 64-bit Windows. InstantTrack won't run natively
in these environments, but according to a report from VK6KCH it can be run
successfully under DOSBox.
- Version 2.21 - September 6, 2007
- Added a section on Windows Vista. InstantTrack runs on Vista
but special workarounds are required in order to use the map screens.
- Version 2.20 - April 29, 2006
- Added a section on the message
Problem with map: can't open file
and split that off from the section on insufficient memory to load the map.
Moved both map answers up next to the section on map screen text garbage, and
renamed that chapter "Map Problems". Removed obsolete references to the old
AMSAT web site. Updated link for XT-CE. Updated AO-40 entry to reflect its
demise. Removed N6NKF's email address, which is no longer valid.
- Version 2.19 - August 17, 2005
- Added a note to the answer on the Update Time via modem feature,
pointing out the built-in Internet time feature of Windows XP.
- Version 2.18 - August 15, 2005
- Reworked the section on timezones to take into account the change in
U.S. Daylight Saving Time rules that begins in 2007.
- Version 2.17 - May 6, 2005
- Added an item about true North versus magnetic North.
- Version 2.16 - February 29, 2004
- Added an item about Keplerian elements (not needed) for the Sun and
- Version 2.15 - February 24, 2004
- Clarified that the version number at the top of the document is the
version number of the document, not of InstantTrack itself.
- Version 2.14 - January 24, 2004
- Changed "new version expected in early 2001" to a reference to the
latest beta test download, for the timezone_offset_seconds feature. Added
a reference to the tutorial on Downloading Keplerian Elements for
InstantTrack. Added a reference to the SAREX mailing list for
ISS Keplerian elements. Corrected "Daylight Savings Time" to
"Daylight Saving Time" throughout. Corrected numerous small
HTML syntax errors. Added a caution about timekeeping in dosbox on the
Macintosh. Changed text for Windows 98 to admit that Alt-Enter can return
from full-screen mode to windowed mode.
- Version 2.13 - January 8, 2004
- Added information about running under the DOS emulator dosbox,
updated the information about Virtual PC to reflect its purchase from
Connectix by Microsoft, and removed the information about RealPC, which
turned out to be permanent vaporware.
- Version 2.12 - September 4, 2003
- Updated references for Keplerian elements for Mir (no longer in orbit),
the International Space Station (weekly bulletins might not be frequent
enough), and AO-40 (separate elements updates no longer updated, use the
- Version 2.11 - July 9, 2003
- Documented the strange trick that Windows XP plays with real time
when InstantTrack is minimized.
- Version 2.10 - April 4, 2003
- Updated the address for AMSAT-DL-Warenvertrieb.
- Version 2.09 - March 8, 2002
- Added a reference to rrdemo, a demonstration program showing how to
interface with OrbitDRV to obtain range-rate (Doppler) information.
- Version 2.08 - January 14, 2002
- Added test results for Virtual PC 5.0 running on a Macintosh iBook
under Mac OS X 10.1.2 -- it works! Also added a (negative) answer for
- Version 2.07 - January 7, 2002
- Corrected the answer about upcoming versions to reflect the fact that
support for oddball timezones was fixed in version 1.51. Also reworded the
answer about running on a Macintosh to reflect the fact that SoftPC is
no longer a current product. Also noted that ITPASS is now available for
- Version 2.06 - January 5, 2002
- Added Windows XP to the list of supported Windows versions.
- Version 2.05 - August 19, 2001
- Changed the formatting on example IT.INI entries in the section on
"map screen text garbage" to avoid putting a quotation mark
next to the digit. Somebody managed to interpret 1"
as "one inch"!
- Version 2.04 - August 18, 2001
- Updated open beta listing to remove the exact number.
Open betas may change faster than this FAQ! Also added some text to the section
on AO-40 attitude entry to describe what version 1.51 and later do about
- Version 2.03 - August 1, 2001
- Added a mention of version 1.51 open beta.
- Version 2.02 - December 8, 2000
- Added some information about new kinds of problems with Keplerian
element files that are commonly seen in this brave new world of Windows
and the Internet. Also added questions and answers about Windows ME and
Windows 2000, and added several links into the InstantTrack
web pages created for the 1.50 release. Admitted to a bug in handling
of Australian timezones (with non-integer hours difference from UTC) and
promised a fix. Described the DOS-compatible filename trick under Windows
for referring to files with long names or names with spaces in them.
Added a question and answer about the attitude of AO-40. Added AMSAT-OZ
to the list of distributing AMSAT organizations.
- Version 2.01 - November 22, 2000
- Updated the link to Dimension 4.
- Version 2.00 - November 5, 2000
- Revised many answers to reflect the release of InstantTrack 1.50.
- Version 1.14 - May 2, 2000
- Added the ATI "VESA BIOS Extension" TSR to the list of possible fixes
for the Map Screen Text Garbage problem, thanks to the report from Marv
- Version 1.13 - January 11, 2000
- Updated the release date for version 1.50 from "before 2000" to
"soon". Also added a pointer to the Houston AMSAT Net site for the
2-line Keps file workaround program.
- Version 1.12 - December 2, 1999
- Updated the release date for version 1.50 from "mid-1999" to acknowledge
that it isn't available yet.
- Version 1.11 - May 30, 1999
- Updated the URL for the Linux DOSEMU home page. Corrected a syntax error
in a mailto URL.
- Version 1.10 - April 18, 1999
- Generalized the wording of the link to rotator driver programs,
since more programs are now available.
- Version 1.09 - April 11, 1999
- Added some preliminary information about the mid-1999 version 1.50
minor update release of InstantTrack. Clarified that this release,
and not a patch, will be the fix for Y2K problems in 1.00.
- Version 1.08 - November 26, 1998
- Added a suggestion to use an NTP client program to keep your clock
set accurately, instead of struggling with InstantTrack's "Update
Time (NBS via modem)" function.
- Version 1.07 - October 10, 1998
- Added a section on Keplerian elements files with invalid (under DOS)
names. This includes names with spaces, and names longer than the 8.3
character DOS limit. Also noted the limit of 38 characters on the entire
- Version 1.06 - August 17, 1998
- Added a section on Windows CE, thanks to a tip from Jim Kelly, KK3K.
- Version 1.05 - August 8, 1998
- Added a section on Windows 98. Added some experimental results
to the section on Linux.
- Version 1.04 - March 28, 1998
- Added AMSAT-DL to the list of AMSAT organizations supplying
InstantTrack. Also corrected a mis-typed internal link.
- Version 1.03 - February 15, 1998
- Added a link to this history page.
- Version 1.02 - February 15, 1998
- Added a link to INTSPEC.TXT
instead of just referring to the file on the InstantTrack
- Version 1.01 - February 15, 1998
- Changed the recommendation on how to get printed reports
to include a description of ITPASS from the InstantTrack
Utility Disk. Thanks to Bert McClellan, N7TKO, for
pointing this out.
- Version 1.00 - February 14, 1998
- Initial release.
Feedback to KB5MU.