From: sarex-bounces@AMSAT.Org [mailto:sarex-bounces@AMSAT.Org] On Behalf Of
Thomas Frey
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:55 PM
To: Ransom, Kenneth G. (JSC-OC)[BAR]
Cc: sarex@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [sarex] Re: ISS D700 condition

Ransom, Kenneth G. (JSC-OC)[BAR] schrieb:
> The radio might be able to be operated in packet by setting everything up
manually but that is very time intensive for the crew (I'm guessing it would
be about 30 steps) and it would have to be done before and after every
school contact. Manually changing all those settings greatly increases the
likelihood of having a school contact fail due to human error.

> Kenneth - N5VHO

And how was it before the "human error" ? I'm wondering why an
astronaut can not handle an amateur transceiver. If the user interface
is too complicate it would be a good idea to give him a dedicated
notebook so he can click in a menu for Packet, school contact, repeater,
SSTV aso. If this problem is not solved, it is fruitless to discuss about
new modes. My 2 cents about this theme.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen, Regards, 73
    Thomas Frey, HB9SKA

  Thomas Frey, Holzgasse 2, CH-5242 Birr, Tel. + Fax: 056 444 93 41
                   http://home.datacomm.ch/th.frey/
             Packet Radio (AX.25): HB9SKA @ HB9PD.CHE.EU