From: McGrane [mailto:tmcgrane@suffolk.lib.ny.us]
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 1:29 PM
To: Ransom, Kenneth G. (JSC-OC)[BAR]
Cc: Manned space BBS
Subject: Possible ISS simplex operation

Greetings to kenneth and the group

After digesting all the exchanges about ISS simplex, I think kenneth has
the right solution. Thanks for your civil exchanges and flexibility.

Can NASA coordinate with the ISS astronauts to monitor and use the
Ericsson Ultra-HF radio equipment for simplex operation?
It would be greatly appreciated.

Many amateurs have tracking programs and would know when to call.

The astronauts and cosmonauts could monitor the radio lightly squelched
while they are awake.

I'm confident, if they heard people calling them, they would answer as
they are available aside from normal resonsibilities.

As kenneth indicated, the frequency is 437.550 Mhz plus or minus about
10 Khz doppler. I've already set up 5 memories on my FT8800 with
ascending and descending frequency splits and I have a good idea what
memories to use at what time during the satellite pass.

If you guys could let the crew know we want to call them it would be
appreciated!

Thanks kenneth!

Patrick, N2OEQ