MARK KELLY CONNECTS WITH LOCAL SCHOOL

SUBMITTED BY ARTHUR N1ORC - AMSAT A/C#31468

Shuttle pilot connects with Golden Hill students; Astronaut Mark Kelly
                   promises to wave as he passes over

  BY MIKE LABELLA - EAGLE-TRIBUNE NEWSPAPER N.ANDOVER,MASS

HAVERHILL,MASS. USA  |  When  space  shuttle Atlantis blasts into orbit
this fall,
there's  a  chance  it will be carrying a T-shirt signed by children in two
Golden Hill Elementary School classrooms.
  But  if  NASA astronaut Mark E. Kelly cannot get permission to carry the
shirt  on  the  ride,  he  promised  to  at  least  wave to children as his
spacecraft passes over Massachusetts during its 11-day mission.
  Third-graders  in  Mary  Larcome's  class  and  fourth-graders  in Joann
Atwood's  class  plan  to  follow  this adventure as it unfolds, especially
after their questions about space were answered by Kelly, a Navy commander,
who will pilot Atlantis.
  Kelly,  40,  went  to college with John and Terri Zaino, the brother and
sister-in-law  of  Judy  Zaino,  supervisor  of  elementary  curriculum for
Haverhill's public schools.
  John  and  Terri's  nephew  and  niece,  fourth-grader  Joshua Zaino and
third-grader  Lia  Zaino both attend Golden Hill. They and their classmates
recently  asked  Kelly  a  number  of  questions, including "What does zero
gravity feel like?"
  They  e-mailed  their  questions to John Zaino, and he in turn forwarded
them to his friend Kelly.
  "It  feels  like  you're  going  over  the  top  of  the  roller coaster
initially,"  Kelly  responded.  "Then  you  get  used to it and you can fly
around the spaceship like Superman. It is a lot of fun!"
  Third-grader Haylee G. Krenzer, 9, was surprised by his response.
  "It sounds scary," Haylee said. "I'm not going into space, it sounds too
scary."
  Third-grader Brianna L. Moses wondered if astronauts ate dehydrated food
and wondered what if they ate would taste good.
  Kelly  said that shrimp cocktail is one of his favorite things to eat in
space,  along with Mexican scrambled eggs, chicken in peanut sauce, "and of
course, the spinach."
  "I  don't  think  spinach  would  taste  that good," Brianna said with a
grimace. "I don't like it that much."
  Third-grader Jared W. Huberdeau, 9, wondered what it is like to lift off
from the launching pad.
  Kelly said it felt "like a runaway train going 1,000 miles per hour."
  "I'd  like  to do the launch part, but not the landing," said Jared. "If
they don't come in at the right time they burst into flames."
  Larcome  saw the connection between her school and a real astronaut as a
perfect  opportunity  for  her  students  to  practice their letter writing
skills.  She  said  this project generated a lot of enthusiasm as it made a
connection to a real event that will take place.
  "They  love to do anything that's not routine," Larcome said. "They knew
there  was  a  chance  that Kelly would write back, which made it even more
exciting."
  Fourth  grade  is when children begin learning about space and the solar
system,  so  communicating  with  a  shuttle  pilot  was  a chance to learn
firsthand from an expert.
  "It  makes  it really meaningful to make this connection and follow this
mission," Atwood said. "Children really feel they are part of it."
  Fourth-grader  Hayley C. Duquette, 9, wanted to know if it was difficult
to  walk  around  wearing  a spacesuit but didn't think she'd really get an
answer back.
  "He's  a  very  busy  man  and I'm surprised he answered our questions,"
Hayley said. "You really need to be smart to be an astronaut."
  Joshua  Zaino  thought it was cool that his uncle put his class in touch
with  an  astronaut and hopes he can travel to Florida this fall to see the
launch in person.
  "I'm 50 percent sure I'll be able to go," Joshua said.
  To make this project even more exciting, children in both classrooms are
signing  a  Golden Hill T-shirt they plan to send to Kelly in hopes he will
take it into space with him.
  "If he can't, at least he will have the shirt," Larcome said.

  Kelly's brief bio:
  Kelly  is  a  graduate of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. He served as
the  pilot  for  STS-108 (Space Transportation System) Endeavour (Dec. 5 to
17,  2001),  the  12th  shuttle  flight  to  visit  the international space
station. He is assigned as the pilot on STS-121, the first mission of space
shuttle  Atlantis since Columbia's mishap on Feb. 1, 2003. He has performed
one  space  walk  and has traveled 4.8 million miles orbiting the earth 185
times in 283 hours and 36 minutes.

     Questions posed to Cmdr. Mark Kelly by children in Mary Larcome and
Joann Atwood's classes, and the answers they received:
  Q. What does zero gravity feel like?
  A.  It  feels  like  you're  going  over  the  top of the roller coaster
initially.  Then  you  get  used to it and you can fly around the spaceship
like Superman. It is a lot of fun!

  Q.  What  will  you  do  while orbiting the Earth in space? What is your
mission?
  A.  We  will  work  inside  and  outside  of  the space station. We will
transfer  a  lot of cargo. We'll also test new capabilities that will allow
us  to  repair  the space shuttle thermal protection system. We're flying a
brand-new  boom that will attach to the robot arm and allow us to reach the
underside  of  the  space shuttle to get access to all of the tiles. During
our  first  spacewalk  we'll  test this new boom. We also have some science
experiments on board.

  Q. If you squeeze toothpaste in the space shuttle, will it float?
  A. Everything floats ...

  Q. How long does it take to orbit the Earth in the space shuttle?
  A. Ninety minutes for a lap around the planet. We'll do a lot of laps in
12  days.  We'll probably travel about five million miles but why don't you
do that math and let me know.

  Q. What kinds of food do you eat in space?
  A.  There are about 500 things on the menu that you can choose from. One
of  my  favorites is the shrimp cocktail. I also like the Mexican scrambled
eggs, the chicken in peanut sauce and of course, the spinach.

  Q. Is it hard to walk in a spacesuit?
  A.  The  suits  we  launch in are called launch and entry suits. They're
probably  about  70  lbs.  so  it is hard to walk into and out of the space
shuttle.  The suits that we do the spacewalks in are about 700 lbs., but we
only wear those in zero gravity so then they don't weigh anything.

  Q. Do you lose weight in space?
  A. I think I lost a couple of pounds. It was mostly water weight because
in  "zero-g"  your  body  gets  rid  of some water. You get very dehydrated
because  as  the fluid shifts in your body due to lack of gravity your body
thinks  it has too much fluid. You urinate that extra fluid out when you're
in space.

  Q. What does the launch feel like?
  A. Like a runaway train going 1,000 miles per hour.

  Q. Does the space shuttle have different rooms?
  A. Three. Flight deck, mid deck and an airlock.

  Q. When you go over us, can you wave to Golden Hill School?
  A.   I  don't  have  any  idea  where  Golden  Hill  is.  I'll  wave  to
Massachusetts.

  Q.  Did  you  really  go  to  college with Josh and Lia Zaino's aunt and
uncle?
  A. I really did go to school with them. We were even in the same company
and dormitory building and are really good friends.

Shuttle pilot connects with Golden Hill students; Astronaut Mark Kelly
                   promises to wave as he passes over

  BY MIKE LABELLA - EAGLE-TRIBUNE NEWSPAPER N.ANDOVER,MASS

HAVERHILL  |  When  space  shuttle Atlantis blasts into orbit this fall,