CHECKING DISCOVERY

SUBMITTED BY ARTHUR N1ORC - AMSAT A/C #31468

* Agency Overview Briefing*
NASA TV televised a press briefing this afternoon with NASA
Administrator Mike Griffin and Associate Administrator for Space
Operations William Gerstenmaier.

In Administrator Griffin's opening remarks, he confirmed Space Shuttle
Discovery's readiness to fly. "We're looking forward to good weather and
when we have it, we're going to be ready to go."

Gerstenmaier also agreed that things are going very well processing the
vehicle for flight. "All the issues are closed and there's really
nothing that's being worked."

Administrator Griffin addressed the foam debris issue in answer to a
question posed by the media by saying, "I very strongly feel, that we
are not risking crew for foam or I wouldn't feel comfortable launching."

"We're looking forward to a pretty exciting mission and getting back to
the assembly of the space station," said Gerstenmaier.

NASA TV coverage of the launch will begin at 10 a.m. EDT and live launch
countdown coverage from NASA's Launch Blog begins at 10 a.m., July 1.
+ NASA Launch Blog.
<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/launch/sts-121/launch-vlcc.html%22>

NASA TV will broadcast a Post-launch News Conference with senior
managers Saturday, about an hour after launch.
+ Watch NASA TV <http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html>

+ STS-121 Fact Sheet (552 Kb PDF)
<http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/151227main_STS-121_Fact_Sheet.pdf>
+ External Tank Risk Assessment Masses (81 kb PDF)
<http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/151440main_TPS_mass_summary.pdf>
+ External Tank-119 Fact Sheet (460 Kb PDF)
<http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/pdf/150034main_Shuttle_ET-119_FS.pdf>

+ Countdown Began June 28
<http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006/jun/HQ_M06106_121_countdown.html>
<http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2006/jun/HQ_M06107_ksc_briefing.html>