SuitSat-1 Final Experiment Proposal

ASSUMPTION 1
I understand SuitSat-1 power was derived from three
primary batteries at 28 VDC connected in parallel
and through a regulator or DC-DC converter down
to around 12 VDC and lower for the xmtr and
supporting electronics.

ASSUMPTION 2
Electric current in primary batteries are derived
from a chemical process.  Chemical processes run
at a reaction rate which is often estimated by
engineers to double with every 10 deg C increase
in temperature, or conversely, that is reduced to
half with every 10 deg C decrease in ambient
temperature.

ASSUMPTION 3
The batteries were running pretty cold during the
experiment, perhaps even assisting in extending
the life of the experiment -- if not at the cost
of reduced efficiency but I am starting to digress
here due to the several other flying assumptions.

PROPOSAL
Why not continue to monitor for SuitSat-1 emissions
through the expected re-entry (or entry? or de-
orbit?) dates?

REASONING
The temperature of the suit and its contents will
rise substantially leading up to its de-orbit time.
There might be a period of time when the batteries
warm up enough and "wake up" for a final period of
discharge enough to allow SuitSat-1 to come to
life at or a little before system meltdown.

Seconds, minutes or hours of warm life under these
conditions?  Who knows!  But, ...

Will any of us be patiently listening for its
truly "final words"?

Just a thought to share.

Cheers,

Pat Kilroy, N8PK
AMSAT Area Coordinator
Maryland-DC Area
http://www.patkilroy.com/amsat-dc/

Patrick L. Kilroy                                             WK
Integration & Test (I&T) Manager    301-286-1984 Voice
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center    301-286-1673 Fax
Building 5, Mail Code 568           Patrick.L.Kilroy@nasa.gov
Greenbelt, Maryland  20771          http://patkilroy.com/bpp/