STS-121 Pilot Mark Kelly: From the Seas to the Skies

SUBMITTED BY ARTHUR N1ORC - AMSAT A/C #31468

COMPLETE STORY:  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Mark Kelly became interested in the space program as a child, when he
watched the first Apollo missions to the moon.

Image right: Kelly walks near the flight line of T-38s at Ellington
Field near NASA's Johnson Space Center. Credit: NASA

Kelly was watching footage of astronaut Alan Shepard landing on an
aircraft carrier when he first began to realize how his dreams could
become a reality.

"I remember thinking, 'Well, that looks like a great combination. You go
fly airplanes in the Navy off a ship first, and then later you become an
astronaut,'" he said. "I never thought it would really happen, but that
was my goal."

Now he's set to pilot Discovery into space on the next shuttle mission,
STS-121.