Re: I could use a little advice here....glass mounts

Gregg,
Some years ago I had a similar problem when I was living in military
housing.
My solution was to take metal foil tape and form two capacitors on
the glass window with tape on both sides. This allowed me to pass the
coax through the glass as the insulator. I think this method would
work for you.
I hope you and your class enjoy Suitsat1.

On Jan 25, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> Rogerkola wrote:
>> Besides the question whether info on suitsat belongs here or on
>> amsat-bb, I
>> have an elementary school that is interested in receiving both ISS
>> and Suitsat
>> transmissions but they arn't crazy about me frilling holes in
>> their block
>> walls or steel cased windows for coax.
>> Does anyone know if a glass mount antenna base can be used as a
>> "pass through"
>> for coax? Will it work on what I assume is a form of plate glass?
>> Are the
>> different bases for say cellular and VHF frequency sensitive.
>> As SWR isn't a problem, since we will not be transmitting, has
>> anyone else
>> come up with any good ideas for this type of situation? Just
>> putting a whip on
>> the glass mount will not clear the roof, though I suppose I could
>> use a
>> collinear arrangement with multiple elements for height.
>
> A crossband VHF receive outside, with UHF transmit will allow you
> to use a handheld UHF HT in the building to easily receive the
> transmissions.
>
> UHF goes through buildings really well.
>
> Gregg Wonderly
> W5GGW