Re: Re: NA1SS very active, be grateful.

Hello All....

So who is going to let the West Coast know?
There are 0 (zero) Hawaii stations, and why would anyone
be active over water?
(refer to the subject of this thread)

The East coast is LUCKY in the way that they can, and sometimes do
get that 10-15 minute warning of voice activity. Real time posts
on www.issfanclub.com is the BEST way to see current activity, Or
sometimes NA1SS will be posted on the DX cluster. Also, a lack of
or NO packets seen on www.ariss.net can mean ISS packet is off, OR VOICE
might be active, so if you look there, it might be a hint to "listen".
I have to work for a living too, and when ISS passes are during
the working hours, I can't always be listening because I am busy.
When I do listen, it is from the mobile. I have worked SAREX/Shuttle
contacts, MIR and ISS from my mobile voice and data.
I remember one time that there was a lot of voice activity as there
is now with Bill. I was working in a building with a lot of RF noise
caused by the computer room I was working in. So, I used my mobile
as a remote base to my HT, thus talking crossband to my truck and
to MIR in this case. It worked great!

I might express there is a lot of "luck" involved too. Being in the
right place at the tight time. Example:
I had a "new guy" riding with me at work. I had been telling him about
HAM Radio, and how I have talked to the MIR Space Station and that
the crew was pretty active on voice. We went to my QTH at lunch time
when there was a MIR pass. I was showing him how I track MIR, rotate
antennas etc.. The next thing I know I hear a CQ from MIR! I picked
up the mic and gave a call. I don't remember who it was I talked to,
but we had a nice 2 minute QSO and a HAM radio demo as well! I made it
look like I talked to Spacemen on a regular basis! Well, I have made
a lot of voice QSO's to astronauts but I have just been "lucky!"

So, my advice is look at internet postings. See if there has been
recent activity. But most importantly, LISTEN!!!

My 2 cents...

73, and good luck to all!
Scott WA6LIE