ARISS Event -- 17 Nov. at 1034 UTC, Takatsuzki, Japan

The next International Space Station's Expedition 12 ARISS
school contact will be with students at Takatsuki
Education Center, Japan on Thursday, 17 November 2005. The
event is scheduled to begin at approximately 10:34 UTC.

This contact will be direct between stations NA1SS and
8N3A, so it should be audible to anyone in Japan and
surrounding areas listening in on the 145.80 MHz downlink.
The participants are expected to conduct the conversation
in English.

"Hiyoshidai elementary school is located in Takatsuki
city, in a hilly suburban area halfway between Osaka and
Kyoto. We are a fairly large school (about 550 students)
in our 34th year of operation. We currently enjoy great
support from the parents and community, who want to put
their trust in the school. We’ve tried to bring a wide
variety of educational experiences to our students. Since
2003 we’ve been running a special program in International
Understanding and English. And we truly hope this ARISS
program will deepen our students’ interest in and
appreciation of technology."

Students will ask as many of the following questions as
time allows:

1. How long do you stay in the station?
2. How big is the station?
3. How much oxygen do you have?
4. How do you know if it’s day or night?
5. How many times do you eat every day?  How about snacks?
6. What do you do for exercise?
7. What do you do if you get sick or injured?
8. What kind of work do you do at the space station?
9. Why did you become an astronaut?
10. What do you see from space?
11. What is hard about living in space?
12. What is fun about living in space?
13. What kind of toilet do you have there?
14. How do you take a bath?
15. How do you wash your clothes?
16. How do you spend your free time?
17. How tall do astronauts have to be?  How heavy?
18. When you come back to earth, what do you want to do
first?
19. Can you sleep well in space?
20. Do you like space food?

Please note, the amateur equipment on the ISS will be
turned off prior to the beginning of the contact. It will
be returned to service as quickly as possible.

The radios will also be powered off after the Takatsuki
contact to support the soyuz relocate. They should return
to service after the relocation activities.

Information about the next scheduled ARISS contact can be
found at http://www.rac.ca/ariss/upcoming.htm#NextContact.
The next scheduled event is with students at the ESA CERN
Geneva Science Festival in Switzerland on Tuesday, 22
November 2005 at 15:17 UTC.

ARISS is an international educational outreach program
partnering the participating space agencies, NASA, Russian
Space Agency, ESA, CNES, JAXA, and CSA, with the AMSAT and
IARU organizations from participating countries. ARISS
offers an opportunity for students to experience the
excitement of Amateur Radio by talking directly with
crewmembers on-board the International Space Station.
Teachers, parents and communities see, first hand, how
Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS can energize
youngsters' interest in science, technology, and learning.
Further information on the ARISS programme is available on
the website http://www.rac.ca/ariss (graciously hosted by
the Radio Amateurs of Canada).

Thank you & 73,
Scott H. Stevens - N3ASA