[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] - [Date Index][Thread Index][Author Index]



*International Space Station Status Report #05-55*
*3:30 p.m. CST, Monday, Nov. 7, 2005*
*Expedition 12 Crew*

The international space station crew completed the first spacewalk using 
U.S. space suits since April 2003, installing a new camera and 
discarding an inactive science probe.

Commander Bill McArthur and Flight Engineer Valery Tokarev began their 
spacewalk from the Quest Airlock at 9:32 a.m. CST as they placed their 
suits on internal battery power. The spacewalk lasted 5 hours and 22 
minutes. The spacewalk started about an hour later than planned. The 
crew had to repressurize the Quest airlock to open a misaligned valve in 
the interior portion of the two-chambered module. With the valve 
properly positioned, they again depressurized the outer chamber to begin 
their work outside.

Once out the door, McArthur and Tokarev made up the time easily and 
completed all of their primary tasks as well as some get-ahead jobs. 
They installed a television camera on the outboard end of the port truss 
segment. The camera will be an important aid during future assembly work 
when additional truss segments are added to the port side of the 
complex. The camera installation job had originally been planned to be 
performed during the STS-114 space shuttle mission of Discovery in 
August. It was not performed during that mission, however, when a job to 
remove gap fillers from the shuttle heat shield was added in its place.

McArthur and Tokarev first retrieved the camera’s stanchion from an 
external tool platform attached to Quest, brought the equipment out to 
the port truss, installed the camera on top of the stanchion and 
installed the hardware. The camera was powered up and provided its first 
views from space just before 12 p.m. Central time.

Next, flight controllers asked the spacewalkers to complete a get-ahead 
task by removing a failed electronics box called a Rotary Joint Motor 
Controller (RJMC). The RJMC will be returned on the next shuttle mission 
so engineers can determine why it failed. The analysis will be used to 
evaluate future similar hardware to be shipped to the station

The pair then moved hand over hand to the highest point of the station, 
the P6 truss, about 50 feet above the U.S. Destiny Lab. There, McArthur 
removed an old experiment called the Floating Potential Probe from its 
stand and pushed it away from the station. It floated up and behind the 
station. It is expected to burn up in the Earth’s atmosphere in about 
100 days.

The experiment was installed during a station assembly mission in 2000 
to characterize the electrical environment around the station’s solar 
arrays. Imagery from STS-114 showed that pieces of the experiment were 
missing or backing out of place. Since it was no longer used, managers 
decided to remove the unit and discard it.

The crewmembers then received approval to move ahead with the final 
get-ahead task before calling it a day. They quickly removed a failed 
circuit breaker from the Mobile Transporter (MT) and installed a new 
one. Called a Remote Power Control Module, the breaker provides power 
for redundant heating on the transporter. The transporter is a type of 
space rail car that can moves along the station's truss structure.

With all tasks completed, McArthur and Tokarev entered the airlock and 
began repressurizing it at 2:54 p.m. CST. It was the 63rd spacewalk in 
support of station assembly and maintenance, the 35th staged from the 
station and the 18th staged from Quest. It was the third spacewalk for 
McArthur and the first for Tokarev.

For information on the crew's activities aboard the station, future 
launch dates, and station sighting opportunities from anywhere on the 
Earth, visit:


The next ISS status report will be issued Thursday, Nov. 10, or earlier 
if events warrant.

Via the sarex mailing list at AMSAT.ORG courtesy of AMSAT-NA.
To unsubscribe, send "unsubscribe sarex" to Majordomo@amsat.org