RE: NASA Takes Google on a Journey into Space

Be sure to zoom all the way in on image and smile  ;)

Kenneth - N5VHO

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-SAREX@amsat.org [mailto:owner-SAREX@amsat.org] On Behalf Of
ARTHUR Z. ROWE
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 3:31 PM
To: sarex@amsat.org
Subject: [sarex] NASA Takes Google on a Journey into Space

SUBMITTED BY ARTHUR N1ORC - AMSAT A/C #31468

NASA Takes Google on a Journey into Space

On Sept. 28, 2005, two high-tech powerhouses in California's Silicon Valley,
Google and NASA's Ames Research Center, joined forces to conduct
cutting-edge research and development.

Scott Hubbard and Eric Schmidt The Director of NASA Ames Research Center,
Scott Hubbard, with Google's Chairman of the Executive Committee and Chief
Executive Officer, Eric Schmidt after signing the memorandum of
understanding.

NASA and Google signed a memorandum of understanding that outlines plans for
cooperation on a variety of areas, including large-scale data management,
massively distributed computing, bio-info-nano convergence, and
encouragement of the entrepreneurial space industry.

"Our planned partnership presents an enormous range of potential benefits to
the space program," said NASA Ames Center Director G. Scott Hubbard. "Just a
few examples are new sensors and materials from collaborations on
bio-info-nano convergence, improved analysis of engineering problems as well
as Earth, life and space science discoveries from supercomputing and data
mining, and bringing entrepreneurs into the space program. While our joint
efforts will benefit both organizations, the real winner will be the
American public," he added.

Bio-info-nano convergence is the technology realm that capitalizes on
nature's own solutions to complex problems, directed by advanced information
technologies, and all accomplished on an ultra-small scale.
Current applications include advanced materials and extremely small sensors
and science instruments. Bio-info-nano convergence has the potential to
create everything from ingestible, medical diagnostic capsules which would
explore our bodies to highly capable micro-sized spacecraft able to explore
other worlds.

Google moon map "Google and NASA share a common desire-to bring a universe
of information to people around the world," said Eric Schmidt, Google chief
executive officer. "Imagine having a wide selection of images from the
Apollo space mission at your fingertips whenever you want it. That's just
one small example of how this collaboration could help broaden technology's
role in making the world a better place."

Image to Right: Google's Moon Web site combines images and information from
NASA with the power of Google technology. The new collaboration could
improve the public's access to NASA's vast information resources.
(Screen Capture from http://moon.google.com/)

"I'm thrilled that NASA Ames Research Center and Google, two of our region's
and our nation's most valuable and innovative organizations, have formed a
partnership," said Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (CA -14th District).

"As Silicon Valley continues to lead in developing technologies that will
guide our nation's economy in the 21st century, partnerships combining the
best in public sector innovation with the cutting edge of private industry
will serve as the gold standard in public-private partnerships for years to
come. The technologies created by the partnership of Google and NASA Ames
not only will enable and enhance further exploration of space, it will
positively impact the daily lives of all Americans for generations to come,"
Eshoo said.

As part of the agreement, Google is planning on building a research and
development campus at the NASA Research Park at NASA Ames. The campus, which
is less than five minutes from Google's corporate headquarters in Mountain
View, Calif., will be comprised of up to 1 million square feet designed to
suit Google and NASA's research goals.

NASA Research Park is NASA's transformation of the former Moffett Field
Naval Air Station, decommissioned in 1994, into a world-class, shared-used
educational and R&D campus.

The NASA Research Park plan includes new laboratories, offices, classrooms,
housing, auditoriums, museums, a training and conference center, open space,
parking and limited retail facilities. The plan calls for NASA to partner
with local communities, academia, private industry, non-profit organizations
and other government agencies in support of NASA's mission to conduct
research and develop new technologies.

Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people around
the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford doctoral
students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top Web property in
all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising program provides
businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while enhancing the overall
Web experience for users.

http://moon.google.com/
To view more images from the event, please visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/multimedia/images/2005/google-imageoftheday
.html

Feature Author: Jonas Dino