NASA Takes Google on a Journey into Space

SUBMITTED BY ARTHUR N1ORC - AMSAT A/C #31468

NASA Takes Google on a Journey into Space

On Sept. 28, 2005, two high-tech powerhouses in California's Silicon
Valley, Google and NASA's Ames Research Center, joined forces to conduct
cutting-edge research and development.

Scott Hubbard and Eric Schmidt The Director of NASA Ames Research
Center, Scott Hubbard, with Google's Chairman of the Executive Committee
and Chief Executive Officer, Eric Schmidt after signing the memorandum
of understanding.

NASA and Google signed a memorandum of understanding that outlines plans
for cooperation on a variety of areas, including large-scale data
management, massively distributed computing, bio-info-nano convergence,
and encouragement of the entrepreneurial space industry.

"Our planned partnership presents an enormous range of potential
benefits to the space program," said NASA Ames Center Director G. Scott
Hubbard. "Just a few examples are new sensors and materials from
collaborations on bio-info-nano convergence, improved analysis of
engineering problems as well as Earth, life and space science
discoveries from supercomputing and data mining, and bringing
entrepreneurs into the space program. While our joint efforts will
benefit both organizations, the real winner will be the American
public," he added.

Bio-info-nano convergence is the technology realm that capitalizes on
nature's own solutions to complex problems, directed by advanced
information technologies, and all accomplished on an ultra-small scale.
Current applications include advanced materials and extremely small
sensors and science instruments. Bio-info-nano convergence has the
potential to create everything from ingestible, medical diagnostic
capsules which would explore our bodies to highly capable micro-sized
spacecraft able to explore other worlds.

Google moon map "Google and NASA share a common desire—to bring a
universe of information to people around the world," said Eric Schmidt,
Google chief executive officer. "Imagine having a wide selection of
images from the Apollo space mission at your fingertips whenever you
want it. That’s just one small example of how this collaboration could
help broaden technology’s role in making the world a better place.”

Image to Right: Google's Moon Web site combines images and information
from NASA with the power of Google technology. The new collaboration
could improve the public's access to NASA's vast information resources.
(Screen Capture from http://moon.google.com/)

"I'm thrilled that NASA Ames Research Center and Google, two of our
region's and our nation's most valuable and innovative organizations,
have formed a partnership," said Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (CA -14th District).

"As Silicon Valley continues to lead in developing technologies that
will guide our nation's economy in the 21st century, partnerships
combining the best in public sector innovation with the cutting edge of
private industry will serve as the gold standard in public-private
partnerships for years to come. The technologies created by the
partnership of Google and NASA Ames not only will enable and enhance
further exploration of space, it will positively impact the daily lives
of all Americans for generations to come," Eshoo said.

As part of the agreement, Google is planning on building a research and
development campus at the NASA Research Park at NASA Ames. The campus,
which is less than five minutes from Google's corporate headquarters in
Mountain View, Calif., will be comprised of up to 1 million square feet
designed to suit Google and NASA's research goals.

NASA Research Park is NASA's transformation of the former Moffett Field
Naval Air Station, decommissioned in 1994, into a world-class,
shared-used educational and R&D campus.

The NASA Research Park plan includes new laboratories, offices,
classrooms, housing, auditoriums, museums, a training and conference
center, open space, parking and limited retail facilities. The plan
calls for NASA to partner with local communities, academia, private
industry, non-profit organizations and other government agencies in
support of NASA’s mission to conduct research and develop new technologies.

Google's innovative search technologies connect millions of people
around the world with information every day. Founded in 1998 by Stanford
doctoral students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, Google today is a top Web
property in all major global markets. Google's targeted advertising
program provides businesses of all sizes with measurable results, while
enhancing the overall Web experience for users.

http://moon.google.com/
To view more images from the event, please visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/multimedia/images/2005/google-imageoftheday.html

Feature Author: Jonas Dino