Re: how to fix the shuttle fuel tank

OK, but Max Q is somewhere in the 1000 mph range ...

They really do have to be careful changing the characteristics of the
ET insulation, because that regime out beyond Max Q is a pretty
exotic place and stuff doesn't behave quite like you'd expect.

(Imagine a foam separation with a net outer layer, where the detached
foam chunk rips out a large section of netting that all falls through
the space between the ET and the lower surface of the orbiter and
maybe wipes out a fairly large tile area on the way through.)

Tangential: Anyone else noticed that a fair bit of hot SRB exhaust
appears to settle in the slipstream behind the ET at a particular
point of the ascent?  I always used to think it was a refraction
artifact from one of the various shock waves they make in the low
Mach regime, but on the last launch it was pretty clear that exhaust
hot enough to be luminous was riding the ET's slipstream for some
time on the way up .. which was pretty noticeable in the photos of
the ET after sep that showed the "barbecued" appearance of the aft
end of the ET.  I wonder if that was an anticipated effect when the
design was first being put together .. ;-)