Re: ISS amateur radio (fwd)

On 1 Aug 2005 at 16:32, Scott- Extingflame wrote:

> Hello All...
>
> Thanks Pat.
>
> ISS repeater has been ACTIVE since 1600 UTC on July 31st.
> Since it has been back on, I've worked a couple of stations while
being
> mobile on 2 ocassions. The repeater is working good but it has a
lot of
> Pre-emphasis on the repeater audio. Which basically means that it
is
> amplifying all audio coming into the repeater. So, if you can, turn
DOWN
> your audio and you will be heard, and sound good. It appears that
when
> you have a hot mic into ISS repeater, your signal
overloads/degrades
> your signal. Several tests were done in Europe on this. It was
found that
> if you are too loud, you cut yourself off! If you back down on your
audio,
> everything is 100%. If you can't turn down your mic gain, back OFF
from
> your mic, or don't talk as loud. I have heard MANY times.. all the
time,
> someone very excited, yelling into the mic and cutting themselves
off.
> If you need to yell, do it at arm's length so we can understand
you.

> Also, if running fullduplex, use headphones, or turn down your
speaker.
> Turn the mic away from the speaker to prevent feedback.
>
> My 2 cents worth...
>
> 73, Scott

To all FT-847 users remember that your FM audio level is set by menu
item 25 fm-p-set. The setting can be fine for some repeater work but
you will have to reduce it on ISS cross band repeat. (I tested
it...:)

This menu setting is often forgotten and give disastrous audio
results on ISS when not adjusted to a lower position.

Same problems seems to happen on mobile operation when local noise
pick up added to voice level just give the same results.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
AMSAT 33583
www.qsl.net/ve2dwe