ARISS Event Notice -- Bentley School, Oakland, CA on Monday 28 Feb.

Astronaut Leroy Chiao has chosen the next International
Space Station's Expedition 10 ARISS school contact.  He
will speak with students at Bentley School in Oakland,
California on Monday, 28 February 2005. The event is
scheduled to begin at approximately 16:47 UTC.

This contact will be a telebridge between stations NA1SS
and WH6PN in Honolulu, Hawai'i, so it should be audible to
anyone in the areas of the Pacific near the islands
listening in on the 145.80 MHz downlink. The participants
will conduct the conversation in English.

"Since 1920 Bentley School has served a community of
learners in the San Francisco Bay Area of California
following the inspiration of its motto, Scire Disidero 'I
desire to know.' Situated on its present K-8 site since
1970, Bentley added an Upper School in nearby Lafayette in
1998 and has gained a reputation as a leading K-12 school
in the Bay Area. Long known for the depth and quality of
its academic courses, Bentley has expanded its
co-curricular program over the years to offer its current
640 students experiences in music, the performing and
visual arts, and athletics on par with the top independent
schools in the Bay Area. It is clear that Bentley has
become a highly selective school successfully serving a
broad student population and one well regarded by colleges
and universities."Please note, the amateur equipment on
the ISS will be turned off prior to the beginning of the
contact. It will be returned to service as quickly as
possible.

**Contact audio should be available in the AMSAT
conference room through EchoLink.**

Students will ask as many of the following questions as
time allows:Ý

  1. What is the maximum human capacity of the I.S.S.?

  2. There are 170 components on the space station. How
heavy is the station with all of its components?

  3. How much spare time do you have and what do you do
for entertainment during that time?

  4. The astronauts on the Gemini mission complained that
the food was horrible. Many people think space food has
improved greatly over the years. What's your favorite
food?

  5. How is the temperature in the space station
controlled? Does it ever get too hot or too cold?

  6. We know that during the MIR years, cosmonauts threw
trash overboard in bags. What do you think you can do now
to prevent space from becoming as polluted as earth?

  7. There are no medical doctors on the space station, so
what do you do if one of you gets injured or sick?

  8. We know good training is important, and you have to
do things like swim three laps in a flight suit.   What is
the hardest part about training?

  9. We read in a newspaper article that twice when
astronauts went on space walks the space station tilted.
Do you know why this is happening, or how it can be
prevented?

10. When you were working for Hexcel, what inspired you to
become an astronaut?

11. Were you able to see the tsunami or its destruction?
What did it look like from space?

12. What do you want to see in the future of space
exploration?

13. We saw in a video that you voted from space. How were
you able to vote from space and get the signal back to
earth?

14. How did you feel after your 5 hour 23 minute space
walk?

15. Have there been any changes at the I.S.S. since you've
been there that you can tell us about?

16. What is the most dangerous part of installing or
repairing space components?

17. Have you figured out what the "gunk" you discovered on
the vents was made out of?

18. We know that you get to do things like float around in
zero gravity. Is that your favorite part about being in
space? If not what is?

19. We read in a newspaper article that there was a huge
trash pile in the space station. If you've already gotten
rid of it how did you do it, if not what do you plan to do
with it?

20. What do you do when you have an itch when you go on a
space walk?

ARISS is an international educational outreach program
partnering the participating space agencies, NASA, Russian
Space Agency, ESA, CNES, JAXA, and CSA, with the AMSAT and
IARU organizations from participating countries. ARISS
offers an opportunity for students to experience the
excitement of Amateur Radio by talking directly with
crewmembers on-board the International Space Station.
Teachers, parents and communities see, first hand, how
Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS can energize
youngsters' interest in science, technology, and learning.
Further information on the ARISS programme is available on
the website http://www.rac.ca/ariss (graciously hosted by
the Radio Amateurs of Canada). Information about the next
scheduled ARISS contact can be found at
http://www.rac.ca/ariss/upcoming.htm#Next Contact.Ý

Thank you & 73,
Scott H. Stevens / N3ASA