ARISS Event Notice -- Wednesday Feb. 23 St. John's School, Houston, Texas

The next school contact with International Space Station's
Expedition 10 takes place on Wednesday, 23 February 2005
with the students at St. John's School, Houston, Texas,
USA. The event is scheduled to begin at approximately
14:35 UTC.

This contact will be direct between stations NA1SS and
W5RRR. It should be audible to anyone in the western and
southwestern US as well as northern Mexico listening in on
the 145.80 MHz downlink. The participants will conduct the
conversation in English.

"St. John's is an independent, co-educational day school
presenting a 13-year sequence of college preparatory
training. A non-profit institution, it was founded in 1946
to provide the community with a school of exacting
standards in the development of individual, spiritual,
ethical, intellectual, social and physical growth.
Students in first grade through upper school have gathered
information about the astronauts and discovered specific
information particular to this mission. During our space
station mission contact, our auditorium will be filled
with students across the grade levels as well as the
faculty and families of the students involved. We also
plan to record the communication and archive it on our
website so that others may benefit from this experience."

Please note, the amateur equipment on the ISS will be
turned off prior to the beginning of the contact. It will
be returned to service as quickly as possible.

Students will ask as many of the following questions as
time allows:

  1. What are your favorite views of earth? Can you see
the northern lights?

  2. What do you do for fun and exercise in your free
time?

  3. Do you get to radio your family regularly and did you
hear from them on Valentine's day?

  4. How does fire, such as a burning candle, look in zero
gravity?

  5. What types of experiments are you doing in space that
would benefit us the most?

  6. How did you and Russian astronaut get to know each
other and learn to work together in such close quarters
and for such a length of time?

  7. What has been the most scary experience you have had
from blast off until now?

  8. How do you keep track of time and do you have to
synchronize with earth? (Relativistic time dilation?)

  9. Did an early interest in science have an affect on
your decision to become astronaut/cosmonaut?

10. How does being in space affect your eating habits? Is
the food good?

11. How do you get haircut and shave in space?

12. What question have we not yet asked that you think we
should have asked ? Why?

13. What things do you miss most while in space?

14. What will happen if you sneeze inside the EVA space
helmet?

15. How different is it riding in the Russian Rocket from
the American Space Shuttle?

16. When you first experience the lack of gravity, does it
take a while to learn how to exert force on objects so
that you go in the wanted direction and speed?

17. What kinds of medicines are you testing in space that
could cure a disease in the future?

18. How does weightlessness effect your sleeping?

19. What is the most exciting part of each mission?

20. What does it feel like after you have been in space on
the ISS and you return to normal gravity?

ARISS is an international educational outreach program
partnering the participating space agencies, NASA, Russian
Space Agency, ESA, CNES, JAXA, and CSA, with the AMSAT and
IARU organizations from participating countries. ARISS
offers an opportunity for students to experience the
excitement of Amateur Radio by talking directly with
crewmembers on-board the International Space Station.
Teachers, parents and communities see, first hand, how
Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS can energize
youngsters' interest in science, technology, and learning.
Further information on the ARISS programme is available on
the website http://www.rac.ca/ariss (graciously hosted by
the Radio Amateurs of Canada). Information about the next
scheduled ARISS contact can be found at
http://www.rac.ca/ariss/upcoming.htm#Next Contact.

Thank you & 73,
Scott H. Stevens / N3ASA