ARISS Event -- Thursday, John Baldwin Elementary School

The next ARISS contact by Expedition 10 aboard the
International Space Station will be with students at John
Baldwin Elementary School, Danville, California on
Thursday, 13 January 2005. The event is scheduled to begin
at approximately 18:28 UTC.

This contact will be a telebridge between stations NA1SS
and VK5ZAI. It should be audible to anyone in the South
Australia area listening in on the 145.80 MHz downlink.
The participants will conduct the conversation in English.

John Baldwin Elementary School serves a residential
neighborhood in Danville, CA, in the center of the San
Ramon Valley Unified School District. The school was
established in 1968 and serves approximately 560 students
in grades K-5. John Baldwin Elementary is the district
"magnet" site for the Academic Talent Program (ATP) for
4th and 5th graders.

Please note, the amateur equipment on the ISS will be
turned off prior to the beginning of the contact. It will
be returned to service as quickly as possible.

Students will ask as many of the following questions as
time allows:

What are some of your responsibilities as commander of
Expedition 10?
Do you conduct any experiments on the ISS? What
experiments do you do?
Do you have any free time on board? If so, what do you
enjoy doing during this time?
Would you be able to build a city on a solid planet with
heavy gravity by planting a tree and waiting there until
there's enough oxygen?
Have any dogs or cats gone up on any space crew missions?
How are animals used in space?
What countries do your crew come from and what is the main
language that you speak on the ISS? Do you as commander
need to know any other languages?
Have you ever been on a mission where you experienced
something wrong happened like missing a piece after
takeoff?
How many people are needed on every International Space
Station crew?
How did construction of the International Space Station
occur? How did people work in space?
Do you think there is some form of life other than humans
in the universe?
What has been your most unforgettable experience?
When did you first know you wanted to be an astronaut?
I love sports and I'm wondering what I would be able to do
for exercise if I was aboard the ISS? Is it important to
stay fit while in space?
How do you get to the Space Station and how many hours did
it take to get to the International Space Station?
I traveled to China this summer and visited the Great
Wall. Is it true that the Great Wall is the only man-made
structure visible from space? If so, have you seen it?
Since your days and nights are shorter in space, how do
you know when to start your day and when to end your day?
What was your greatest memory at John Baldwin Elementary?
ARISS is an international educational outreach program
with US participation from NASA, AMSAT (The Amateur
Satellite Radio Corp.), and the American Radio Relay
League. ARISS offers an opportunity for students to
experience the excitement of Amateur Radio by talking
directly with crewmembers on-board the International Space
Station. Teachers, parents and communities experience,
first hand, how Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS can
energize youngsters' interest in science, technology, and
learning. Further information on the ARISS programme is
available on the website http://www.rac.ca/ariss.
Information about the next scheduled ARISS contact can be
found at http://www.rac.ca/ariss/upcoming.htm#Next
Contact.

Thank you & 73,
Scott H. Stevens / N3ASA