Re: ISS Packet Station..

Bob,

Yes it does consume a lot of bandwidth when it's use is obsolete. (Crew does
not use)
UI Connections, retries etc, to the PMS really kills the pass for anyone
else.
Using the digipeater to send messages with APRS format makes more sense.

If that station is somewhere else around the globe, a simple one line email
will do!
(Assuming that person has email)
Ie.. in APRS,UIVIEW etc, it is easy! Format: <(S)end (T)o  "EMAIL" > Text
line: person@emailaddress Message text then is here on the same line. A long
email address eats up your message line. Try to choose a short email address
or something like W1xx@arrl.net

So, send a message to EMAIL <Enter>
W1xxx@arrl.net HI Joe. This msg if via the ISS. Hope 2cu next pass! <Enter>

This message/email will be sent to the addressee ASSUMING that a Satgate
station picked it up.
Current Satgates cover most of our populated areas! In the USA, there are
close to a dozen listening and importing all the data to www.ariss.net
Basically, if YOU show up on the ARISS website, you are being picked up from
a Satgate station.

My 2 cents worth...

73, Scott WA6LIE
Salinas, Ca. CM96eq