From: owner-SAREX@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-SAREX@AMSAT.Org] On Behalf Of
Frank H. Bauer
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 10:52 PM
To: A.J. Farmer
Cc: 'Frank H. Bauer'; sarex@AMSAT.Org; 'Robert Bruninga'
Subject: RE: [sarex] New ARISS Operations Capability

A.J.

While you mention that the timing is odd, we have been working for months
to get all the D700 radio capabilities checked out.  As Bob can attest, we
have had the repeater capability embedded in the ISS D700 design from the
beginning.

We just recently got 70 cm voice checked out.  And we have tried for months
(way before AO-51 was launched---actually back in January) to get the
repeater function activated and checked out.  Right now we have an astute,
active astronaut ham on board ISS (Mike Finke) that has been willing to go
the extra mile for the ISS ham radio program.  He goes home in about a
month.  And the repeat function is not an easy capability to switch in (it
is easy to switch out, through).  So the timing of this coincided with the
ability to get the time of an on-board crew member to do the procedure for
us.  I, personally, feel grateful that the space agencies are generous
enough to allow us to have ham radio on-board.

Once we have a computer available for our use we should be able to have
multiple capabilities running at the same time (packet, repeat, etc).  We
have been working on this for a long time, too, and are making good
progress recently.  But we are not there yet.

It is my expectation that we probably will have APRS running again after
the EVA later in the week.  In the meantime, I would hope that all would
checkout this new capability.

Thanks for your inputs and your fair assessment of the situation.  A number
of us on the team are excited that we have now gotten through one of the
last, major hurdles in the D700 checkout.  Our next goal is to get multi-op
(voice & packet) running from the two radio systems.  And, of course,
PCSat2 early next year.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO