ISS CREW TAKES TIME OUT FOR "NIGHT OUT"

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC - Amsat A/C #31468

Allard Beutel
Headquarters, Washington                       July 29, 2004
(Phone: 202/358-4769)

Julie Burt
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

SPACE STATION CREW TAKES TIME OUT FOR "NIGHT OUT"

     Communities participating in National Night Out on
Tuesday, Aug. 3, will get a special greeting from the crew of
the International Space Station.

"We're a long way from home," Expedition 9 Flight Engineer
and NASA Science Officer Mike Fincke said, "Conducting the
research that will pave the way for the future exploration
away from our planet, but we wanted to join you in
reinforcing the spirit of community that National Night Out
promotes," he added.

National Night Out, sponsored by the National Town Watch
Association, is an event observed by millions across the
country with neighborhood block parties, cookouts, visits by
local law enforcement, and other activities. The objectives
are to generate support for local anti-crime programs,
heighten crime and drug prevention awareness, and strengthen
neighborhood spirit and local police-community partnerships.

The video greeting from the Station will be on the NASA TV
Video File daily beginning Friday, July 30, airing at noon, 3
p.m. and 6 p.m. EDT. NASA TV is available in the continental
United States on AMC-6, at 72 degrees west longitude,
Transponder 9, 3880 MHz, vertical polarization, audio at 6.8
MHz. In Alaska or Hawaii, NASA TV can now be seen on AMC-7,
at 137 degrees west longitude, Transponder 18, at 4060 MHz,
vertical polarization, audio at 6.8 MHz.

The crew's greeting also is available on the Internet at:

http://anon.nasa-global.speedera.net/anon.nasa-
global/iss_nightout.wmv (Windows)
 or
http://anon.nasa-global.speedera.net/anon.nasa-
global/iss_nightout.mov (QuickTime)

Although few areas will have an opportunity to see the
station on this year's National Night Out, almost every month
the orbiting complex is easily visible on a number of
evenings or early mornings as it flies above many cities. To
find out when the Station will next be visible in your area,
visit:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html

For more information about National Night Out, visit:

http://www.nationalnightout.org/nno/

-end-