FW: ARISS-Europe Bulletin: Space Camp Turkey

ARISS-EUROPE NEWS BULLETIN JULY 5, 2004

Amateur Radio on board the International Space Station (ARISS) is an
international working group of  amateur radio societies of the
countries participating to the ISS, devoted to implementing the amateur
radio station on board the ISS and in charge of planning school
contacts with astronauts.

The present News Bulletin is circulated to 517 subscribers.

More information is available on the ARISS-Europe website
<http://www.ariss-eu.org/>

SPACE CAMP TURKEY CHATS WITH ASTRONAUT MIKE FINCKE

In Izmir, Turkey a Partner School Project week is being held on July
4-10, 2004. The purpose of this event is for students and teachers from
Turkey and several other countries including the U.S., Greece and
Israel to meet in the neutral environment of Space Camp Turkey.

Students are promoting friendship and cooperation through space
education. Approximately 130 students between the ages of 12-16 years
old attend this week. Among other Space related activities, the
youngsters are building rockets and fire them off.

Today, Monday 5 July 2004, several boys and girls had the opportunity
to put a question to astronaut Mike Fincke, KE5AIT on board the ISS and
get his answer from Space. This was made possible by Amateur Radio. At
8:25 UTC, the ARISS ground station WH6PN located in Honolulu, Hawaii
and operated by Dick AH6NM established contact with NA1SS operated by
Mike, KE5AIT. A telebridge had been set up, courtesy of MCI, between
Honolulu and Izmir and the students started putting their questions.

The audio was excellent and Mike Fincke answered 15 questions which had
been prepared by the students. One student asked “What do your children
think of you being gone for so long? How often do you communicate with
your family?” Mike: “You know, this is almost my favourite question of
all of them. I have a boy who is three years old and a baby that was
born while I was up here. So my little boy misses me very much and my
little girl doesn’t even know who I am yet. But I get to talk to my
wife and my little boy every day on the telephone. We have a telephone
up here and it is very interesting that I can be able to talk to my
family and it makes a big difference to me”.

A recording of this Space Talk is available for download (MP3 10Mb) on
the Archive page of the ARISS-Europe website.

Gaston Bertels
ARISS-Europe chairman