ISS Packet School Projects

> BTW, if the astronauts wont read messages, what's the point of packet?
> Bouncing packets off the ISS is not that rewarding.

To begineers and new schools, its initially just the success of contacting
someone else via that path.  But I agree, its not an end in itself, it is
in what we do with it.  Here are some other ideas:

REMOTE SENSOR DATA:  One interesting application of UI digipeating is in
the remote ham radio outpost experiments in the Antarctic and Arctic.
One from Stanford transmits their WX packet once every 2 minutes at 5Watts
and when a compatible UI digipeating satellite flies over, it relays that
report back to base.  See http://www.thistle.org/ANI/construction1.htm

Another by the Mars Society is in the Arctic and is manned during the summer.
See http://www.marssociety.org/arctic/index.asp

OFFSHORE SENSORS:  Another similar student experiment is building
off-shore floating Buoys that can be tossed into the ocean and let them
drift for months or years to track ocean currents and temperatures.
Sending a position/data packet once every 3 minutes or so will be fun to
daily see where it is..  Being off shore, they wont compete with other
users much.  See http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/buoy.html

So I think we can  consider encouraging the schools to think of student
experiments that can take advantage of this capability... not just be
satisfied with a packet as an end in itself.

SCHOOL TRIP TRACKING:  Schools with remote teams or projects out in the
field can use the packet  path to report their position and status back to
the school. etc...  It is trivial to set up a SCHOOL web page to show live
where that team is.  ALl they need do is insert the callsign of their team
into this link and they have a great web page project:

Here is where my car is LIVE: http://map.findu.com/wb4apr-9

EVENTS:  The Naval Academy uses packet to track the progress of the 150
mile run of the Army/Navy game football anually.  But with few passes of
ISS during such short term events (20 hrs) it is usually better to  use
terrestrial packet.  See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/fball2001.html

DATA ANALYSIS:  Another project might be to plot the position of the ISS
and each successful station at the instant.  This will show somewhat the
ISS antenna pattern as it moves across the states.

NATIONAL INTEREST ITEMS:  Back during the olympics, we wanted to track the
position of the Olympic Tourch across the USA using ham satellites and
these simple position packets.  If anyone can think of any other
"traveling" asset of national interest that is always on the move, it
should be easy to attach a packet tracker and use ISS to track it.
See the track of the Torch: http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/torch.html

STUDIES IN COMMERCE:  For studies of our national assests of River
commerce it might be fun to track a Tugboat on their weekly travels from
Illinois to New Orleans.  Or train Cargo.  Or a Truck.

Find a HAM doing something real interesting on the move, and get him on
ISS!

Any other ideas?

de WB4APR, Bob