ISS reception

Hi folks- I am still having trouble copying ISS except on nearby passes.
I retuned reciever section of radio and did some antenna work and copy is
improved but still poor to OK. I am using 9 foot diamond vertical, 21 feet
of 9913 coax and an icom 229h vhf radio. Anybody with similar equipment
having difficulty as well?

BTW, if the astronauts wont read messages, what's the point of packet???
Bouncing packets off the ISS is not that rewarding.

If it counts, my vote is for cross band phone repeat when unattended.

Any other ideas? Thanks. Patrick. N2OEQ