From: owner-SAREX@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-SAREX@AMSAT.Org] On Behalf Of
Miles
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 5:54 AM
To: Wade Norris
Cc: 'Steve Meuse'; sarex@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [sarex] ISS OPERATION

Mir work loads:
A few observations with Mir:
When Mir was full of Non-hams, we had very little radio activity.
The radio was off for whole crew shifts 4-9 months at a time.

When we had experienced crews, we had a lot more activity.

Then there was the work load issues on Mir.
When all equipment was working and Mir was staffed with 3 people, we had
limited activity.
But when some things broke on Mir, such as the refrigerator or Freezers,
then
the Doctors had a lot more free time.  No Freezers, No blood tests, etc.
So during some types of project break downs, the crews had more free
time
and we did see a big increase in Ham traffic.

ISS
The recent small Air leak caused a big schedule change for Iss crew,
they
even canceled a school schedule to spend more time finding the air leak.
There are only 2 crew members with the workload of 3.
So until we get a staff of 4 on ISS full time, the iss ham usage on
voice may be low.

however, if you give me 25 million dollars, i will buy a ticket to iss
and
ill try to sped at least 3 days of my 10 day mission talking to the
public
via ham

miles wf1f

Wade Norris wrote:

> HMM GO FIGUAR THEY HAD TIME FOR ON MIR AND IN EARLY DAYS OF THE
SHUTTLE