Re: ISS reception

> GOT BEAMS?
> All I can say..
> That's what it takes these days vis ISS.  :(

I beg to differ. The signals from ISS are as strong as ever. There may be
times that parts of the space station block the view from the antenna to
your part of the ground view. Remember, we're talking simple VHF,
line-of-sight communication here.

Last summer, before the addition of the D700E, I was able to regularly
digipeat APRS packets using only a D7AG HT running 2.5 watts while using the
stock rubber duck antenna. Granted, this was in the middle of the night
local time, so very few others were trying to work it while I was. It still
works fine, as I just caught a pass less than 10 minutes ago and received my
own packets back from the ISS digipeater.

I have also made a couple of voice contacts using the same HT with the
rubber duck antenna, and multiple contacts, both packet and voice, running
10 watts in the car using a Kenwood D700A and a normal dual-band mobile
antenna (Diamond SG-7500A).

When the ISS, and other packet satellites in LEO, are within range, they are
amazingly easy to work with relatively low power and simple antennas.
Nothing fancy is needed. Just remember: during "prime-time", weekends,
evenings, holidays, etc., you're signal is competing with many, many others!

Try working the ISS between midnight and 6:00 a.m. during the week. I think
you'll find it shockingly easy to work!