Quick Packet Tips: Jan 11, 2004

ISS Amateur Radio Status: January 11, 2004

ISS Packet Status:
Quick Tips:

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Manned Amateur Radio Experiment, MAREX-MG News	www.marexmg.org

ISS Packet Status:

The ISS has a new voice and packet radio system, the Kenwood D700 .  The
system was installed December 8 2003 and activated on December 22,
2003.  The new radio supports both Voice and Digital Data modes (Packet
Email, Round-Table and APRS) and it will operate on the amateur radio
2-meter and 70 centimeter bands.  The ISS crew is still the process of
learning how to use the new radio system.  The ISS now has two (2)
different Amateur Radio stations plugged-in (Ericsson and Kenwood).  The
Ericsson is currently being used for School voice links on the 2-meter
band. The Kenwood D700 is being used for Random voice and digital data
modes, also on the 2-meter band.  Since both radios are currently on the
same radio band, the ISS crew needs to remember to only have one on at
time.  The ARISS team is currently working on an equipment usage plan
for ISS. Eventually we will have multiple educational amateur radio
projects operating at the same time on different bands.

Quick Tips:

Frequency:
Make sure you are on the correct frequency pair for the proper mode.
145.800 RX 144.490 TX Voice (Region 2 and 3)
145.800 RX 145.990 TX Packet (Worldwide)
145.800 RX 145.200 TX Voice (Region 1Europe, Africa)

Packet Mail:
The ISS mail box address is currently RS0ISS-11.  The ISS crew does not
have time to read Packet email at this time.  I have a few unofficial
suggestions on how to use the ISS Packet Mail system.  Note:  These are
suggestions and are not part of the current ARISS policy.

Send and Receive Packet Mail from:

Ships at Sea:
Third World countries, places that do not have access to email or
similar services.
Dx-Expaditions, etc. For ships at sea you should include the MM or
maritime mobile in the subject line.
27 P     02/02/26 12:47 DB734  DO256         Maritime Mobile Hello

Meet new Friends:
You can send a message to W ALL, for the purpose of meeting new friends
in different countries.  Your message must include a return address,
Postal, Email, Terrestrial Packet or Radio Schedule.  Do not use the ISS
PMS as your Return address.
37 B     02/02/27 12:57 ALL    XE123        Hello want sked with Nepal
!!
38 B     02/02/27 12:58 ALL    BJ123        Pen pals from Africa

Sysops Postings:
A few selected System Operators, (Sysops) will be posting important
status messages and Kep data for Third World countries and places that
do not have access to email or similar services.
60 BR    02/03/01 14:23 ALL    N6CO          2 lINE ISS Keps 3-1

What I can NOT do with the ISS Personal message System:

No Bulletin Board traffic:
For Sale, Wanted, etc.
29 PR    02/02/27 17:57 N13  W13         GET ON PACKET AND HELP US

In country Email:
Example, sending email between to people living in same country, when
they both have other means of communication.
7 P     02/02/23 15:22 K15H   WD15E        hello

Unproto, Round-Table and APRS:
The "Round Table" mode is a keyboard to keyboard form of communication.
Round table will allow you to type short messages, which will be relayed
(a.k.a. Digitally Repeated or Digi for short) through the PRS and
retransmitted over a distance in excess of 1000 miles. Round Table mode
allows many people to participate in a Round Table like environment
while the ISS is in range. There are several supported Amateur Radio
call sign configurations for Round Table mode, below are a few examples
that should work.  Ill post more examples later.
UNPROTO  CQ  VIA ARISS
UNPROTO APRS VIA RELAY
UNPROTO APRS VIA WIDE

Note: Duplicate Unproto strings will not be retransmitted.  The Digi
Repeater on ISS is designed to help reduce interference by blocking
duplicate packets.  If the Repeater on ISS receives two (2) 100%
identical packets within 30 seconds, it will block the second packet.
The ISS digi is specially looking at the Call sign and Data portion of
the packet.  If you send duplicate packets, with identical Call and Data
sections, the ISS digi may not repeat some of your packets until the
30-second timer has expired.

In this example I have two packets with the same Data section "Hello
World" (ignore the time stamp).
WF1F>CQ,RS0ISS-4* [01/03/04 11:35:10]: Hello World
WF1F>CQ,RS0ISS-4* [01/03/04 11:35:15]: Hello World
The packet with the time of 35:10 will be repeater, however the second
packet at 35:15 should be blocked.

In this example we will assume that I waited more than 30 seconds
between transmissions.
WF1F>CQ,RS0ISS-4* [01/03/04 11:35:10]: Hello World
WF1F>CQ,RS0ISS-4* [01/03/04 11:35:45]: Hello World
Both packets are identical and should be repeated since they are being
sent more than 30 seconds apart.

In this example I will send 2 packets 10 seconds apart and change the
data portion of the packet.
WF1F>CQ,RS0ISS-4* [01/03/04 11:35:10]: Hello Tom, meet me on 7.250 lsb
WF1F>CQ,RS0ISS-4* [01/03/04 11:35:20]: Ok Tom, see u on 7.295 AM
instead.
Both packets should be repeated since the data portion of the packets
are different.

For detailed information on packet and voice operators please check out
the MAREXMG web page.
http://www.marexmg.org/fileshtml/howtouseiss.html

Current ISS Crew:
Expedition 8 crew:
Commander Michael Foale
Flight Engineer Alexander Kaleri
Arrived on ISS October 20, 2003 and will stay on ISS until April 2004.

MAREXMG Web page
http://www.marexmg.org

Information on the crew's activities aboard the Space Station, future
launch dates, as well as Station sighting opportunities from anywhere on
the Earth, is available on the Internet at:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/

73 Miles WF1F MAREX-MG

Until we meet again

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F