ISS Operations Update 4 January 2004

All,

I have been sifting through the many e-mails I have received over the past
few days regarding ISS ops.  I will attempt to clarify some of the
observations many of you have made as well as some of what has been seen
from the ISS Ham radio system since about a week ago.

Before I start this discussion, I need to explain to you all that we are
currently using the Kenwood radio system in its "raw" form.  What I mean by
this is that the ARISS team has not yet run a formal engineering checkout
of the hardware and the ISS crew has not gotten the operations procedures
uplinked to them yet.  The ISS crew kind of surprised the space agencies by
getting the radio system installed much earlier than they had
anticipated.  (Would you expect anything less from an ISS crew that are
avid ham radio operators).  As a result, the ARISS team has been working
feverishly with the space agencies to get the procedures uplinked and
engineering checkouts scheduled.  As could be expected, the space agencies
didn't feel the need to schedule these until the equipment was installed.

It is important to note that the ARISS team felt that it was more important
to get the system on the air in voice and packet as-soon-as-possible than
to wait another few weeks while we get the system optimized for general
ops.  So, my word of caution to all is to proceed lightly with the radio
system (the Kenwood and the new antennas).  They are still in their infant
stages.  Like all infants, expect it to grow and mature over time.

Digi Operations

At this point in time the Kenwood radio system is not properly configured
for digi operations.  A reconfiguration change occurred about a week ago
which has led to this issue.  So, what you see right now will probably not
be what you will see in the future.

We hope to get this corrected in the next few days.   This issue has more
to do with the fact that our on-board procedures for the radio system have
not yet made it up to the ISS crew.  It is our understanding that these
procedures are expected to be uplinked early this week.

Signal Fading

Some of you have observed that the signals on ISS are a bit different with
the new radio system.  You have noticed some fading or drop outs.  We are
now using the new antenna system located on the Service Module, as compared
to the antennas on the FGB.  The FGB antenna system is configured with a
top looking and bottom looking antenna.  Currently, the Service Module
antenna is using a single, bottom mounted antenna.  Since the structure of
ISS is very large, it is quite possible that we are getting some signal
blockage.  We will continue to evaluate the antenna system
performance.  Since we have 4 antenna systems that can support 2 meter and
70 cm operation, we have a lot of possibilities with the antenna system,
including signal splitting, if needed.

Packet Heard During the School Contact

Those who listened to Friday's school contact got a bonus....packet on the
downlink.  Those who heard it witnessed history, the first ISS multiple
radio operations.  What you heard was the Phase 1 Ericsson radio system
doing the school contact with the Phase 2 Kenwood radio system active doing
packet.  As I stated, our procedures for the Kenwood radio are not on-board
yet.  I would not expect that this issue to happen during future school
group contacts.

As Miles Mann has pointed out, the age of multi-mode, multi-op radio has
begun on ISS.  Let's all proceed forward, slowly, as we get the system
fully operational for you.  In the meantime, enjoy!

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO