ISS Operations

All,

I have been away from internet service for a few days due to the holidays
and this will continue...so there will be some delay in my responses the
next few days.  I read the questions from Eric, KF4OTN on the packet split
and from Al, KD4SFF about the Roy Neal, K6DUE special event.

Regarding the special event, yes, the event is still proceeding forward and
the ARISS team appreciates Mike Foale's support.  Remember, you qualify for
the special certificate if you make a voice contact or a packet
contact.  Our plan have been to run this commemorative through to the end
of the year.  So there are a few days left.  I want to remind everyone that
the certificate for this event requires an SASE with an envelope of at
least 9 inches by 12 inches in size.  Please QSL through your area's QSL
team (Americas, Europe, Russia, Asia).  The QSL address information is on
the ARISS web site:

www.rac.ca/ariss

Regarding the packet frequencies and why we use split, I think many have
already provided some answers to this.  !45.80 is designated a human
spaceflight downlink frequency.  Right now it shares use on voice and
packet for general operations and school group operations.  In the future,
we expect it to also be used at times for voice, packet, repeater
capabilities, school group contacts and SSTV.  We would like to keep the
downlink frequency clear for all to hear and receive.  In large cities,
simplex mode results in loud signals from local packet overwhelming others
listening on voice and other, weaker, downlink signals from ISS.  While we
highly discourage it, there are some that keep their packet systems running
automated so that they can get that packet or APRS signal through.  This is
one of a few reasons why we have elected to go split frequency on our
operations.

I hope all are enjoying the Holiday Season.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO