Phase 2 Hardware Status

All,

Phase 2 hardware (Kenwood D700) equipment setup completed and activated at
approximately 11:20 UTC on December 8.  As I mentioned, we did not expect
to have the hardware operational until all the safety paperwork was
completed.  I received the following from NASA yesterday which explains
what happened.  The packet turnoff this time was not the issue we have seen
with the FGB Phase 1 packet system.  It was manually shut off.   FYI, the
equipment has been yellow tagged (do not install or operate) since prior to
its delivery on ISS.  Let's hope that the safety team can get the paperwork
done very soon.

Congratulations to the ARISS international team for a successful end-to-end
demonstration of the new antenna system and the Kenwood radio system!!

73,   Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

.....hardware was installed as planned.  A radiogram was sent to crew with
instructions to remove the yellow tags.  Having removed the yellow tag
and not having received any instructions to not activate the (ISS Ham Radio)
unit, the crew then activated the hardware.  The US side did not expect
activation because coordination with US safety was not complete.  The
rationale for the Yellow Tag is due to a concern regarding (ISS Ham radio)
hardware operation impacts to EVA crewmembers, so there is no immediate
concern regarding (ISS Ham Radio) operation.  However, Russian controllers did
request that the crew power down the Sputnik hardware while bilateral
Safety paperwork coordination is completed.