SpaceCam update Dec 8, 2003

ISS Amateur Radio Status: December 8, 2003

SpaceCam Status:
Packet and voice tips:

By Miles Mann WF1F,

MAREX-MG News	www.marexmg.org

Manned Amateur Radio Experiment

SpaceCam Slow Scan TV Status:
The ARISS team put together a 6-man team of engineers that went to
Moscow the week of November 10 - 20 (the ARISS team is made up of
engineers from NASA, AMSAT and MAREXMG). The team met with officials
from Energia for the purpose of flight certification testing of the
Amateur radio equipment on ISS.  One of the projects we tested was the
SpaceCam slow Scan TV system.

The Fun Part:
The testing took place inside a giant building at Energia in the city of
Korolev.  The testing complex is called the KIS (pronounced Keys).

We had to change into overalls and booties before entering the main
testing room.  There we saw a full size test Service Module, FBG,
Kaviant (from Mir), Buran Shuttle and several new rockets getting ready
to fly.  A new Progress (Cargo rockets) and two new Soyuz capsules
(Soyuz are for manned flights) and a rocket called Sea Launch.  We also
saw the ISS Soyuz TM7 capsule which just came back from ISS about 3 week
earlier.  The Booster sections of the rockets are tested in a different
complex.  After a rocket is built, it is sent to this building for a
full systems checkout.  Then after everything is complete, the rocket is
wrapped in plastic and shipped to the Balkanor launching facility.

We climbed up the scaffolding to gain access to the Serving module.
Since the service module is small, only 4 of us at a time were allowed
inside at one time (technician, photographer, and two ARISS engineers).
There was a technician inside to show us where our hardware was going to
be installed.  We posed for many pictures and were allowed to examine
all 4 of the ham radio antenna positions.  The photographs taken by the
Energia photographer need to go through a special release process, I
will post the pictures when they become available.

James bond flash back (You only live twice):

Try to think back to the James Bond movie, "You only Live twice" (one of
my all time favorites).  The plot of this movie was the Chinese had
built a Single-Stage-to-Orbit rocket that was hijacking American and
Russian manned space capsules while they were in Orbit.  The Chinese
launching facility was hidden inside a volcano on a Japanese island.
James Bond infiltrated the complex and was eventually caught while
pretending to be a cosmonaut.  During this movie you see this huge space
complex with a rocket sitting on a launch pad and you hear the PA system
blaring out instructions in English and Chinese.  The movie sound track
gave off and Erie echo.  While I was walking around the huge KIS
building, looking at all of these Russian made rockets, the PA system
began to blast out information in Russian.  It not did it sound like the
movie, but it also looked the part with all of the Russian rockets.  The
big difference between this and the movie was this was all real.  It was
like I as standing in a real James Bond movie.

Back to reality:

The first day of Lou McFadin W5DID, performed all of the radio and
antenna testing.  Everything went very good and we finished work ahead
of schedule.  The next day we tested the SSTV with all three (3) radio
configurations. Everything worked great on the new computer.  All images
to and from the Service Module looked great.  We tested SpaceCam on
three different radios, Ericsson 2-meter, Ericsson 440 and the Kenwood
D700 on 2/440 bands.  As near as we can tell, we had completed all of
the required tests and still had a little time left.

When Will SpaceCam fly:
I do not know.  I am going to wait until all of the paper work is
completed before I make any announcements on when the SpaceCam software
will be delivered to ISS. Most of the hardware for SpaceCam is already
on board the ISS.  The only part left that need to be flown are the VOX
adapter module and the Software.  These components will need to be
placed on a rocket, sometime in 2004.

Special thanks:
I would like to give special thanks for everyone that helps make this
meeting and testing successful.
Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, Mark Steiner, K3MS, Lou McFadin, W5DID, Carolynn
Conley, KD5JSO, Dave Taylor, W8AAS, Sergej Samburov, RV3DR and all of
the supporting teams from ARISS, AMSAT and Energia

Current ISS Crew:
Expedition 8 crew:
Commander Michael Foale
Flight Engineer Alexander Kaleri
Arrived on ISS October 20, 2003 and will stay on ISS until April 2004.

Packet and Voice tips:
I have posted information on how to access the ISS station, for both
Voice and Packet operations. The ISS packet system was heard on December
6 for 1 hour.  Astronaut Mike Foale, said he will try to fix the
problem, however he can not make the repairs until he gets permission
and has the project "Time-Lined" into his schedule.  Please be patient.

http://www.marexmg.org/fileshtml/howtouseiss.html

Marexmg Web page
http://www.marexmg.org

Information on the crew's activities aboard the Space Station, future
launch dates, as well as Station sighting opportunities from anywhere on
the Earth, is available on the Internet at:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/

73 Miles WF1F MAREX-MG

Until we meet again

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F