ARISS Status Update December 7, 2003

All,

Here is an ARISS status update for Sunday December 7, 2003.

K6DUE ISS Commemorative Event

Astronaut Mike Foale was active during a North America and Europe pass on
Saturday December 6.  Numerous ham radio operators in these parts of the
world made contact with Mike Foale or heard the ISS downlink.  Those who
heard or worked the ISS qualify for a special ISS Commemorative Certificate.

Instructions on receiving an ISS special event certificate follows:

1)  Please send an 9 inch by 12 inch (minimum) envelope for your
certificate with adequate postage or IRCs included.  Smaller envelopes will
result in your certificate getting folded (not a pretty sight).

2)  Include your name, callsign and whether you worked ISS or heard ISS.

3)  Send your QSL/SWL information with the envelope to your ARISS QSL
distributor in your area (Americas, Europe, Japan, or Russia).  See the
ARISS Web Page for more details:  www.rac.ca/ariss

Please note that this process will take several weeks.  The plan is to get
a bulk listing of QSLs/SWLs so that the calls can be added to the
certificate prior to printing.  We will then bulk mail these certificates
to the QSL distributors.  The distributors will then mail the certificates
to you.

It is not clear whether we will have another voice opportunity with Mike
Foale next weekend.  We will keep you informed as we get more details.

Phase 2 Hardware

Sergej Samburov, RV3DR reports that the installation of the Phase 2 Kenwood
radio could occur as early as Monday December 8.  Once this hardware is
installed and the team gets permission to begin operations, we expect the
equipment to be activated.

There is still one safety issue regarding output power and EVA stay-out
zones that needs to be resolved before the equipment can be
activated.  Once this is closed by NASA and Energia, we should get
permission to use the hardware.

There are several advantages to getting this hardware operational.

1)  The Kenwood radio is being installed in the Service Module and will use
one of the 4 ARISS antennas located on the back end of the Service
Module.  The radio station will be located near the dinner table and near
the Service Module window.  This prime location will allow the crew to more
conveniently use the ISS Ham radio system.

2)  Another advantage is that the Kenwood D700 radio has a built-in packet
system.  So the reconfiguration of the existing Phase 1 packet system can
occur in parallel with the use of the Phase 2 Kenwood D700 packet system.

Details on the ARISS Phase 2 Hardware System is detailed in the AMSAT
Symposium Paper:
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ariss/Papers/Phase%202%20AGM03Final.pdf

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO