Congratulations on the NA1SS voice contacts!

And at 11:48 AM 06/12/2003, Bas, PE1SCW wrote, in part:
>Hi all,
>
>Heard Mike talking to several Belgium an UK station on 15:30 UTC pass
>Could sadly not make contact to him, mayby next time!
>
>'73
>
>Bas de PE1SCW

     Congratulations to everyone who worked the ISS, and to anyone else who
may do so during the planned attempts this weekend!  This is the result of
a lot of hard work by many people as well as dedication by the
astronauts/cosmonauts.  I think it is the greatest thrill in the world to
have the privilege to make contact with a manned spacecraft, be it MIR, one
of the Shuttles or the ISS.  It doesn't matter which mode, be it
digi-peating through a TNC, leaving PBBS email for other Hams or the
inhabitants of the spacecraft or the "crown jewel", a voice contact.

     I won't be attempting a contact this time because I had my share a
year or two ago when Valery Korzun was on board.  I will leave the openings
and bandwidth for those who are still waiting for their first contact.

     You can go to my web site listen to a recording of my conversation
with the International Space Station, made on 29 September 2002.

http://www.ve1dx.net/ham.html

     Click on the link below the picture of Commander Valery Korzun (which
he sent me via email) operating the Amateur Radio Station RS0ISS.  Because
we were transmitting on different frequencies (duplex operation), you can
only hear Commander Korzun's portion of the conversation.  During the fall
of 2002, he also spoke with my 2 youngest children, who were 13 and 14 at
the time, and they have the RS0ISS QSLs that I expect they will keep forever.

     The point I'm trying to make is that patience will be rewarded.  I
waited 3 years for a contact, and then there was a 2-3 month period where I
managed to catch Valery on many orbits that passed over Nova Scotia in the
early evenings.  And after he left, there was a long period of low to no
activity.  Apparently it is now picking up, and Michael Foale is doing a
great job.  I understand the pure joy of hearing your squelch open and
realising it is from the spacecraft you've been tracking faithfully for
months or even years.

     Those of us who have been at this for a number of years recall the
same thing with MIR and the shuttles.  It was hit and miss, and you never
knew who and when someone would be lucky enough to make a contact.  It's
like HF DXing . . . everything has to line up right for you to get that
rare one, and there really is no difference between a CW QSO with a group
of DXers camped out on some volcanic outcropping halfway around the world,
or a packet/FM QSO with a spacecraft 400 km overhead.  All take time,
patience and luck.

     You don't need sophisticated equipment (although I'm sure stacked
arrays with azimuth/elevation rotators and 500 watts help!)  All I ever
used was a Comet vertical and 25 watts from a Kenwood TM241A radio.  Years
ago I worked MIR with a handheld and 2.5 watts.  The key ingredients are
patience and more patience.

     So, once again, congratulations to those who have made QSOs, and I
hope many more get in the ISS logs in the near future.

73/DX Paul VE1DX (QSL via VE1YX)

http://www.ve1dx.net/index.html