"Possible follow-ups" in web archives

Luc Leblanc (VE2DWE) wrote:
>As i read on the following INTERNATIONAL and publicly available web
>site, Can you Paul explain to me and all
>the AMSAT members the meaning of <Possible follow-up(s)>  in the
>following SAREX archive.

I assume you're referring to the archives at
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/sarex/index.html. Those archives
are created automatically by a program called MHONARC.

"<Possible follow-up(s)>" simply means that the archiving software is
unsure about whether the messages listed below that notation are
really part of the same "thread" of discussion as the ones above. It
thinks they are, because the Subject is the same or very similar, but
it can't confirm it using other header fields. Since some email
software fills in those other fields, and some does not, the
capability to split messages up into conversation threads is
unreliable.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org