Update: ISS Commemorative Event

All,

I wanted to provide an update on the ISS Commemorative event.  I have
included a copy of the original e-mail that Sergej Samburov and I sent out
a few weeks ago, for your reference.

The U.S. team have gotten word that Mike Foale is hoping to get on the
radio sometime this weekend for a couple of passes.  He also stated that he
is anticipating supporting about 2 passes per weekend through the month of
December.  This, of course, is completely contingent upon his schedule and
other duties or issues that might crop up on ISS.

We have provided Mike a list of potential passes for this weekend.  These
are shown below.  It is our expectation that Mike will probably concentrate
on a couple of passes over North America and/or and Europe this weekend,
but we cannot be sure of this.  So our advice is to be listening where ever
you live in the world.

The passes shown are during the times that the ISS Ham radio team have been
given permission to schedule school group operations and general operations
(i.e. within a specified period when the crew is awake).  We added an
additional pass on November 30 from 21:21-21:39 UTC which is outside these
constraints.  It is a better pass for North America.  However, it is
unclear if this will be uplinked to Mike.  Again, I would listen in if I
were you.

To reiterate:  depending on Mike's schedule, he hopes to be on the air for
a couple of the passes shown.

Please don't forget the frequencies (see below).

Also, regarding the special event certificate---please do NOT send for it
until you have received explicit QSL instructions from the ARISS team on
this.  We are in the process of developing and printing the certificate, so
please hold off on sending in your QSL until we give you specific envelope
size directions.

I wish you the best in your pursuits to contact the ISS.  Remember, please
be brief in your QSOs so we can get a lot of participation.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

Pass Times:
-------------- U.S./North America ---------------

Nov 29  0727-0741 UTC  West coast
Nov 30  0802-0811 UTC  West coast
               1816-1828 UTC  East coast
               1946-2003 UTC  Mid-west and East Coast
               21:21-21:39 UTC Mid-west and East Coast

-------------- Europe/Russia --------------
Nov 29  1444-1500 UTC  East
         1618-1635 UTC  Central
         1755-1812 UTC  West, North, East
         1932-1948 UTC  North
Nov 30  1345-1357 UTC  East
         1516-1533 UTC  Central
         1652-1709 UTC  West, North, East
         1830-1846 UTC  North

-------------- Japan ---------------
Nov 29  0844-0856 UTC  North
         1022-1032 UTC  North
         1158-1209 UTC  North
         1334-1345 UTC  Central
         1511-1519 UTC  South
Nov 30  0741-0754 UTC  North
         0920-0930 UTC  North
         1056-1106 UTC  North
         1231-1243 UTC  Central
         1408-1418 UTC  South

-------------- Australia -----------
Nov 29  1655-1712 UTC  East
         1830-1840 UTC  West
Nov 30  1553-1610 UTC  East
         1728-1745 UTC  Central
         1905-1922 UTC  West & South

ARISS International Team News Release:
November 10, 2003

Roy Neal, K6DUE, ISS Commemorative Event Planned by the ARISS team

Our good friend and noted NBC news correspondent Roy Neal, K6DUE (SK), had
a vision---to make amateur radio a permanent feature on human spaceflight
missions.

On November 28, 1983, the first step to Roy's vision was taken with the
launch of the first amateur radio station on the STS-9 Space Shuttle
Columbia mission.  A few days later, Astronaut Owen Garriott, W5LFL. became
the first on-orbit crew member to talk from space.

15 years ago, in October 1988, the Russian Amateur Radio team, led by
Sergej Samburov, RV3DR and Larry Agabekov, UA6HZ/N2WW, launched and
deployed the first amateur radio station on Mir.  On November 12, 1988 at
the AMSAT-NA symposium in Washington DC, Leo Labutin, UA3CR (SK), started
amateur radio operations by communicating with cosmonaut Musa Manorov,
U2MIR on-board Mir.  Soon thereafter, hams all over the globe were talking
with the cosmonauts and astronauts  through the Mir amateur radio station.

The first amateur radio communications from the ISS started 3 years ago
this month.  On November 13, 2000, from the ISS, Sergei Krikalev, U5MIR and
Bill Shepherd, KD5GSL, could be heard talking to the ham radio teams
located at the Energia amateur radio station, R3K, in Russia and the
Goddard ISS ground station, NN1SS in the USA.  Roy's vision was suddenly
realized with the deployment and first operation of a permanent amateur
radio station on ISS.

To commemorate Roy Neal's vision and dedication to the development of
amateur space communications, the ARISS International team will be
sponsoring a special event activity with the ISS crew.  We have requested
that the ISS Expedition crew communicate with ground-based radio amateurs
during the weekend of November 29-30.  Those who contact the ISS by voice
or packet during this weekend and through December 2003 will be eligible
for a special anniversary event certificate.

Please remember the ARISS frequencies:
Voice and Packet Downlink: 145.80 (Worldwide)
Voice Uplink: 144.49 for Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific)
Voice Uplink: 145.20 for Region 1 (Europe, Central Asia and Africa)
  Packet Uplink: 145.99 (Worldwide)

Please keep all contacts short as others will want to work the special event.

Specifics on QSL verification and certificate distribution will be provided
in a follow-on news bulletin.

On behalf of the ARISS International Team, we congratulate the
international amateur radio community on these exceptional accomplishments
and commemorate Roy Neal, K6DUE for his vision and tremendous support to
ARISS team.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
Sergej Samburov, RV3DR