ARISS Equipment Status

All,

The USA team just recently returned from Russia where we were supporting a
series of meetings and tests at the Energia facility in Korolev (Moscow
Area).  The USA team included Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, Mark Steiner, K3MS, Lou
McFadin, W5DID, Miles Mann, WF1F, Carolynn Conley, KD5JSO and Dave Taylor,
W8AAS.  The entire activity at Energia was led by ISS Ham Russian Segment
manager Sergej Samburov, RV3DR.

We had a great set of meetings and tests.  We signed several protocols
(agreements) that documented our test results and provided some context for
the future.

The primary reason for the US team visit was to complete the testing of the
Phase 1 (Ericsson 2 m and 70 cm radios) and the Phase 2 Kenwood D700 radio
system with a set of flight identical ARISS antenna systems.  Successful
completion of a series of end-to-end tests was a requirement by the Russian
team to clear these radio systems for use in the Service Module with our
ARISS antennas.  The tests were performed in the KIS facility at Energia
which is their high-bay that houses all their flight equipment.  Inside the
KIS is a flight equivalent Service Module.  Our antennas were installed on
the outside of the service module and tests were performed inside the
Service Module with our flight-equivalent radio systems using the flight
equivalent feedlines and, as stated before, flight equivalent ARISS
antennas.  We also planned to perform a series of tests on the SSTV system
including tests in the KIS/Service Module with the Ericsson and Kenwood
radios and then separate tests in Sergej Samburov's radio station R3K.

We successfully completed the end-to-end testing of the Kenwood and
Ericsson radio systems on 2 meters and 70 cm as well as successfully
completed the necessary SSTV system tests.  The ISS Ham radio team signed
the certification paperwork and the certification documentation is
currently winding its way through the signature process at Energia.  Once
signed by the Energia leadership, the Kenwood radio system and the Ericsson
(SAREX) radio systems will be cleared for use in the Service Module with
the new ARISS antennas.  It is our hope that this will be completed by
December 8, maybe sooner.

My sincere thanks to Sergej Samburov, RV3DR and his team for his
outstanding hospitality and hard work.  We had a very memorable time in
Russia.

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
ARISS International Chairman