Re: NASA outlines safer space station

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Ron McCracken wrote:

> I'm not too impressed with NASA's 'safety' tales after two virtually
> identical disasters, both of which were entirely preventable....

And so what is your conclusion to the fact that there are over 100 people
killed EVERY DAY in the USA in  automobile accidents and EVERYONE of them
is also preventable?  Maybe you think that every car shold be built like a
HummVee and of course that you shouldnt have to pay for it, the government
should.  And then you will also realize that just as many people will
probably die because the bigger and more safe the monstrosity becomes, the
sheer mass and safety systems start to so impede functionality that more
people are killed by other problems...

> Any  airline with NASA's 'safety' track record would be out of business
> permanently.

After how many years of SHuttle flights?  What 20? (I dont know), but go
back to 1920 after the same number of years of airplane flight experience
and I bet the mortality rate was comparable!  And all they had to do was
fly and not hit any trees.  FLying at 17,500 MPH through MACH 25 and in
and out of vacuum is a bit trickier...

In maybe another 80 years after we have the same number of passenger
flights (say 100,000,000,000,000,000?) with astronauts as we have had with
comercial airlines and then your argument is worth taking a look at.....

> and  When push comes to shove, NASA has made it abundantly clear that
> 'safety' is far down its list of priorities. 14 dead astronauts are
> clear proof of that.

10 MILLION automobile deaths must be clear proof that safety is far down
everyone else's list also when what drivers really want to do is get from
point A to point B.

> Schedules are much more important.

Like most people wanting to get to work on time...

Accidents happen.  We do everything we can to prevent them, but for every
costly prevention, there is another possible cause for failure.  The only
safe life is to lie in bed on a feeding tube... unless...  well, I wont go
there... ;-)