EXP 8 CREW ARRIVIES AT ISS

SUBMITTED BY ARTHUR - N1ORC

Expedition 8 Crew Arrives at Station
 10.20.03

 Image left: Moments after hatch opening, all five International Space
Station residents gathered in the Zvezda Module. From left to right:
Expedition 8 Flight Engineer Alexander Kaleri, Expedition 7 Flight
Engineer Ed Lu, Expedition 8 Commander Michael Foale, Expedition 7
Commander Yuri Malenchenko (front) and ESA Astronaut Pedro Duque.  (NOT
SHOWN)

Two days after launching from Kazakhstan, the Soyuz spacecraft carrying
Expedition 8 Commander and NASA Station Science Officer Michael Foale,
Flight Engineer Alexander Kaleri and European Space Agency Astronaut
Pedro Duque docked with the International Space Station at 3:16 a.m. EDT
(0716 GMT). At the time of docking, both spacecraft orbited the Earth
above Russia.

After performing leak checks, Foale, Kaleri, and Duque entered the
Station for the first time. Hatch opening occurred about 6:19 a.m. EDT
(1019 GMT). Current Station residents, Commander Yuri Malenchenko and
NASA Station Science Officer Ed Lu, greeted the new crew.

After 10 days of joint activities and experiments, the Expedition 7 crew,
along with Duque, will return to Earth on October 27. Once the Expedition
7 crew undocks, Foale and Kaleri will settle down to work, beginning a
more than six-month stint focused on Station operations and maintenance.

The new Station crew, along with Duque, launched from the Baikonur
Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 1:38 a.m. EDT Saturday, October 20.

 Image above: A Russian Soyuz spacecraft lifts off from the Baikonur
Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, carrying the Expedition 8 crew to the
International Space Station. Photo credit: NASA TV. (NOT SHOWN)

"When we look back fifty years to this time ... we will know that [the
Station] was the seed that started us off to the Moon and Mars."
--Expedition 8 Commander Michael Foale
During their stay, Foale and Kaleri will monitor the arrival of three
Russian Progress resupply cargo ships filled with food, fuel, water, new
research experiments and supplies. They will also upgrade the software in
the on-board Station computers work with the robotic arm to observe the
Station's exterior and check out the robotic system's performance in
orbit.

Expedition 8 is also set to devote nearly 200 hours to U.S., Russian and
other partner research, including microgravity studies in life sciences,
physics and chemistry as well as extensive Earth observations.

The pair may also perform a spacewalk to swap out experiments on the
Zvezda Service Module, and prepare Zvezda for the planned arrival next
year of the European Space Agency's Automated Transfer Vehicle, which
will deliver equipment and supplies.

Commander Foale was born and raised in England, but moved to the United
States to pursue a career in the space program. He joined NASA in 1983
and was selected as an astronaut four years later.

"When we look back fifty years to this time," Foale says, "we won't
remember the experiments that were performed, we won't remember the
assembly that was done, we may barely remember...any individuals. What we
will know was that countries came together to do the first joint
international project, and we will know that that was the seed that
started us off to the moon and Mars."

Foale is a veteran of long-duration spaceflight aboard the Russian space
station Mir, as well as multiple Space Shuttle missions. In 1997, Foale
joined cosmonaut crewmate Anatoly Solovyev in a spacewalk to inspect the
damage to Mir, after a collision with the Russian Progress resupply
vehicle caused the station's Spektr module to depressurize. In total,
Foale has logged over 178 days in orbit.

 Image above: From left, Expedition 8 crew Mike Foale and Alexander
Kaleri, along with European Space Agency Astronaut Pedro Duque, wave at a
pre-launch press briefing. Photo credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls.

Kaleri, the Soyuz commander and Space Station flight engineer for
Expedition 8, is also a veteran of long-duration spaceflight, with 416
days in space to his credit. He has flown international missions with
German and French cosmonauts, as well as American astronauts Shannon
Lucid, John Blaha and Jerry Linenger.

"The International Space Station is a very good step forward, and it's a
very good experience for us that can show us how to work together in the
future," says Kaleri. "If we put this task in front of ourselves and
learn how to operate very difficult scientific projects, we'll be able to
reach much more in the future. We can go together on Mars, we can go to
other planets. At least I would like to believe that."

Duque, who is flying as part of a contract between the European Space
Agency and the Russian space agency, is making his second trip into
space, having flown aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery in 1998. That
nine-day mission was dedicated to research in weightlessness and the
study of the Sun, and was also the flight on which U.S. space pioneer
John Glenn returned to space.

Expedition 8 coverage on NASA Television can be seen on the Internet at:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

View the Expedition 8 Press Kit (PDF; 5.9Mb)