Phase 2 (Kenwood) Radio System

Patrick,

I agree, I do miss hearing the crew too.  Ed Lu has been on the air
sporaticlly the past few weeks and a few people have worked him.  We will
be putting the callsigns in the next ARISS Status Update.  These status
updates are shown on the ARISS web site:

www.rac.ca/ariss

Click on "current ariss status"

Archived versions of these are also displayed in text format.

Regarding the Kenwood Radio System, our paper and presentation at the
upcoming AMSAT-NA conference will provide a lot of details on this.  You
can preview the paper at:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ariss/Papers/Phase%202%20AGM03Final.pdf

There are pictures, locations and plans for how the entire Phase 2 system
will be installed and how the systems will be operated.  If, after reading
this, you have further questions, post them on this site so that they can
get adequately answered.

Personally, I am really looking forward to the next two Expedition
crews.  Expedition 8 should be phenomenal.  Mike Foale and Sasha
(Alexander) Kaleri are dyed in the wool hams.  We should see great
operations here and probably get some of our hardware problems fixed (e.g.
packet) if it is not fixed already.  Bill McArthur, on Expedition 9, is
also a a great ham.

The public frequencies for the Phase 1 & Phase 2 radio systems will remain
the same.  Once we get close to starting 70 cm operations, we will publish
the public frequency channels for those operations.

I hope this helps explain things.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO