Re: A Question for the hams

>From Miles WF1F Marexmg
http://www.marexmg.org/
Hi Scott, i think many hams are asking the same questions.
Here is some info, and a copy of The ARISS Chairmans memo on packet.

Scott- Extingflame wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Sam, and I have a couple of questions.
>
> I have been listening to iss frequency on my icom receiver for the past
> year. There have been packet signals and have seen the information on my
> computer using my soundcard. I have even heard the astronaughts talk to hams
> one time. I hears that there might be SSTV up there, and I can see with my
> soundcard.
>
> My questions are when is sstv going to work?

If all goes on schedule, we may fly SSTV "SpaceCam1" Late 2003 or Early
2004.
Then after it arrives the ISS crew will install the software when they
get permission.
http://www.marexmg.org/fileshtml/newsrelease70503.html

> Will there be any hams up there again?

Two REAL hams are scheduled to fly to iss in October 2003 for 6 months.
 Flight Engineer Alexander Kaleri,  and Commander Michael Foale KB5UAC
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/crew/exp8/index.html

> I understand hams like to talk and I know my kids would like to hear signals
> from space.
> I have been to many web sites and have all the information.
> But it seems to be wrong? I thought there was a full time packet up on iss?
> Am I wrong on this?
> If I am wrong, when will I be able to see signals?

Packet was active for a few hours on Sunday Aug 24 2003.
ARISS is looking into the reasons for the limited activity.

http://www.marexmg.org/fileshtml/packetstatus.html

> Thank you for reading this
>
> Sam
> ----