Packet

All,

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail on this subject, yesterday (Friday) we
had a teleconference between the ARISS teams in the US and Russia and
NASA.  It is our understanding that sometime on Sunday (tomorrow) Yuri will
be reconnecting the 2 meter equipment, turning power back on and
configuring the system for packet operation on the standard packet
channel.  This will probably be early in the day for those in North America.

As part of the procedure we generated, we had asked for Yuri to report to
the Mission Control Center in Moscow when the procedures were completed and
provide confirmation that the packet is operating properly.  We have
another teleconference scheduled for tomorrow with Sergej Samburov, RV3DR,
(ARISS-Russia) to determine status after these procedures are completed.

Now comes the interesting part.  A member of our NASA team obtained a copy
of the Radiogram that was uplinked to the crew and forwarded this radiogram
to us.  The last line in the radiogram, after Yuri reports the results to
the MCC (Mission Control Center) is:

"NOTE: system shutdown will be performed on MCC GO"

It is not clear how or why this line was added.  It was not part of the
procedures we provided.  We will have to learn how this was added over the
next few days.  What it could mean is that the system may be turned off
minutes after it is reconfigured.

I would ask all to please keep your packet stations on and report any
packet activity, if any, on this reflector.  If the system gets shut off,
we will work with the US and Russian control centers to have it turned back
on.  There is a school group contact scheduled for August 28 in
Houston.  We would expect that the crew would follow the procedures
provided with each school group contact to configure the system for
continuous packet operations.

As we get more details, we will share them with you.

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO