Re: ROY NEAL K6DUE

If I may,  here is the document in it's unedited form as written for us by
Alan Kaul, W6RCL, who was Roy's colleague at NBC Network News and as presented
in audio form in ARNewslne (tm) newscast 1358 now on-line at
www.arnewslin.org/quincy.

Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
Editor - Producer
Amateur Radio Newsline, Inc.

---

THAT FINAL ITEM:  A FINAL 73 TO K6DUE

At the beginning of our newscast, we told you about the passing of a
member of the Amateur Radio Newsline family.  Roy Neal, K6DUE, died
August 15th following heart surgery.  One of the people who knew Roy
best is Alan Kaul, W6RCL.  Roy and Alan worked together at NBC News, and
on projects benefitting amateur radio.  Alan looks at the life of a man
who was an institution in American broadcast journalis, as well as a
driving force in amateur radio's conquest of space:

--

When Roy Neal, K6DUE, died last week, he was possibly the best-known ham
in America.  He left an indelible imprint on Amateur Radio.

Roy, more than anyone else, was responsible for getting ham radio aboard
manned space craft and each new mission is testament to his legacy.  His
efforts earned Roy awards from the Dayton Hamvention, they designated
him Ham of the Year and from CQ-Magazine, which this year named Roy to
the Amateur Radio Hall of Fame.  He also received honors from The
American Radio Relay League, and other groups and served as chairman of
two key AMSAT committees.

Roy was a good guy.  He was my friend and colleague at NBC News.

I met Roy in the 1960's when I was working in Seattle and he came to
town to report on aerospace giant Boeing.  After I moved to Los Angeles
and joined NBC News in the 70's, Roy and I collaborated on a lot of news
reports.

As a correspondent Roy was best known for his coverage of the U-S Space
program _ he was a friend of the original astronauts _ and often
reported from both the launch site at Cape Canaverral and NASA Mission
Control in Houston.

Not many people know this but Roy was also the author of a book about
America's missile system_. called The Ace In The Hole.  It was written
at the height of the Cold War.

In the 1970's, Roy teamed with television producer Dave Bell, W6AQ, to
launch the first of several documentaries about amateur radio.  Number
One was a 16-minute film, Moving Up to Amateur Radio.  Followed a few
years later by The World of Amateur Radio.  Dave Bell remembers Roy as
the ultimate professional:

--

Dave Bell W6AQ: "Of all the on-camera talent that I have known, Roy was
the most assured and had the smallest ego of all of them.

He was a true professional when it came to the news.  Everything was
always true. Everything was straight from the shoulder and there was no
compromise.

Roy was one of the old-school news guy.  He grew up in the television
business and he understood it better than anybody who is working in it
today."

--

In the 1980's Roy helped convince NASA to put ham radio in Space aboard
a manned flight of the Shuttle.  That first ham-astronaut was Owen

--

Audio from ARNF:  "This is the story of an expedition.  The story of
STS-9.  The Columbia.  And these are the explorers:  John Young - the

--

Roy's next project was called SAREX - Shuttle Amateur Radio EX-periment,
followed by the New World of Amateur Radio which profiled a new ham,

--

Kelly Lenhert (ne Howard) N6PNY:  It was all so exciting, but it was
also overwhelming.  But working with Roy made me feel so comfortable.

--

Roy's last documentary was called Ham Radio in Space.  Roy's interest
was a natural fit with AMSAT.  Roy's close friend AMSAT Vice President

--
Frank Bauer KA3HDO:  "One of the things that Roy taught me was how to
distill information into basically sound bites, if you will.  I remember

Another AMSAT officer who worked closely with Roy is Robin Haighton,
VE3FRH, the President of AMSAT North America.

--

Robin Haighton VE3FRH:  "The space program itself is in good hands, but
there is no doubt about it that we will miss that leveling confidence

--

Other comments have come in from all over the world  From New Zealand,
the past president of NZART, Jim Meechen ZL2BHF sent his condolences.

--

Bob Heil K9EID:   "I'm going to miss his spirit.  He had a spirit about
him that when you heard him on the air, you stopped tuning.  This was

--

Roy was in the first generation of television newsmen who began their
craft after World War Two.  He started in Philadelphia and then moved to

Roy was at ease in front of a microphone _ and could talk to millions of
television viewers as easily as he could talk to the ham across town.
On camera, he had the uncanny ability to read to time, precisely to
time.  When I produced updates for NBC Nightly News and Roy was the on-
camera talent, I would time the newscast and tell Roy how long he would
have to report the story.

I'd say something like this:  "Roy, can you do it in 19 seconds?"

And Roy would always reply, "You know I can old buddy."

Roy liked that phrase "old buddy."  He used the phrase to address
friends and co-workers for some time.  As for the updates - Roy always
got them right.  He would stop talking just an instant before we'd have
to switch back to the network.

By the time he retired in 1986, Roy had worked out of the Los Angeles
news bureau for almost 35-years.  He'd probably written millions of
words, and brought his audience uncountable hours of news and
information.

But even in retirement, Roy Neal didn't stop doing what he did best.  He
was no stranger to listeners of Amateur Radio Newsline who knew him as a
tireless volunteer giving freely of his own time to report the latest
information -- always signing off in his own stylized way.

--

"This is Roy Neal, K6DUE.  Thanks for listening and 73."

--

73, Old Buddy _ I really hate to see you go.

I'm Alan Kaul, W6RCL, reporting for Amateur Radio Newsline.

--

Roy leaves his wife Pat, and sons Mark and David.  Services were held
August 19th at the Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church

In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations in Roy's mame be
made to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation at the Astronaut Hall of
Fame.  The mailing address is 6225 Vectorspace Blvd, Titusville,
Florida, 32780.  Please mark your envelope to the attention of Linn Le
Blanc.

And this final thought.  Yes, we at Newsline have lost a very dear
friend.  More important -- so has all of Amateur Radio.

73, Roy.  None of us will ever forget you.  (ARNewsline, W6RCL)

Additional on-line reading:

The Roy Neal Story:
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/broadcastpioneers/neal/neal.html
ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/18/101/?nc=1
ARISS: http://www.rac.ca/ariss/
CNN:  http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/08/19/neal.obit
JSC Amateur Radio Club: http://www.w5rrr.org/sta-pix.html

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk, I'm Don
Wilbanks, AE5DW.  Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright  2003.  All
rights reserved.