ROY NEAL K6DUE

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC

The following is from The Amateur Radio Newsline:

Roy was in the first generation of television newsmen who began their
craft after World War Two.  He started in Philadelphia and then moved to
the West Coast where he helped found the NBC News bureau in Los Angeles.
That was  during the days of the old John Cameron Swayzee Camel News
Caravan.

Roy was at ease in front of a microphone _ and could talk to millions of
television viewers as easily as he could talk to the ham across town. On
camera, he had the uncanny ability to read to time, precisely to time.
When I produced updates for NBC Nightly News and Roy was the on- camera
talent, I would time the newscast and tell Roy how long he would have to
report the story.

I'd say something like this:  "Roy, can you do it in 19 seconds?"

And Roy would always reply, "You know I can old buddy."

Roy liked that phrase "old buddy."  He used the phrase to address
friends and co-workers for some time.  As for the updates - Roy always
got them right.  He would stop talking just an instant before we'd have
to switch back to the network.

By the time he retired in 1986, Roy had worked out of the Los Angeles
news bureau for almost 35-years.  He'd probably written millions of
words, and brought his audience uncountable hours of news and
information.

But even in retirement, Roy Neal didn't stop doing what he did best.  He
was no stranger to listeners of Amateur Radio Newsline who knew him as a
tireless volunteer giving freely of his own time to report the latest
information -- always signing off in his own stylized way.

--

"This is Roy Neal, K6DUE.  Thanks for listening and 73."

73, Old Buddy _ I really hate to see you go.

I'm Alan Kaul, W6RCL, reporting for Amateur Radio Newsline.
----
Audio from ARNF:  "This is the story of an expedition.  The story of
STS-9.  The Columbia.  And these are the explorers:  John Young - the
commander. Brewster Shaw the shuttle pilot.  And the scientists Dr. Ulf
Merbold, Byron Lichtenberg, Robert Parker and Dr. Owen Garriott -- an
Astronaut who is also Amateur Radio operator W5LFL.  This is an
expedition to probe the outer limits of science and Amateur Radio's
newest frontier.

--
Roy's next project was called SAREX - Shuttle Amateur Radio EX-periment,
followed by the New World of Amateur Radio which profiled a new ham,

Roy leaves his wife Pat, and sons Mark and David.  Services were held
August 19th at the Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church in High
Point, North Carolina.

In lieu of flowers the family requests that donations in Roy's name be
made to the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation at the Astronaut Hall of
Fame.  The mailing address is 6225 Vectorspace Blvd, Titusville,
Florida, 32780.  Please mark your envelope to the attention of Linn Le
Blanc.

And this final thought.  Yes, we at Newsline have lost a very dear
friend.  More important -- so has all of Amateur Radio.

73, Roy.  None of us will ever forget you.  (ARNewsline, W6RCL)

Additional on-line reading:

The Roy Neal Story:
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/broadcastpioneers/neal/neal.html
ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/18/101/?nc=1
ARISS: http://www.rac.ca/ariss/
CNN:  http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/08/19/neal.obit
JSC Amateur Radio Club: http://www.w5rrr.org/sta-pix.html

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk, I'm Don
Wilbanks, AE5DW.  Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright  2003.  All
rights reserved.

Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF
Writer - Producer
The Amateur Radio Newsline, Inc.