TEACHERS OF THE YEAR EXPERIENCE OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD TRAINING

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC

Martin Jensen
MSFC, Huntsville, Ala.				July 28,2003
(Phone: 256/544-0034)

RELEASE: 03-129

TEACHERS OF THE YEAR EXPERIENCE OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD TRAINING

The nation's top teachers from each state including representatives from
American Samoa, Department of Defense Education Activity, District of
Columbia, Northern Mariana Islands, and U.S. Virgin Islands are
journeying
on a weeklong space "mission" this summer, courtesy of NASA. The
teachers,
chosen by their peers, arrived at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in
Huntsville, Ala., July 26, and are learning what it's like to live and
work
in space. The event continues through August 2 and is co-sponsored by
the
Marshall Space Flight Center, also in Huntsville.

Teachers will have the opportunity to become astronauts, scientists and
engineers, if only for a week. They will be able to experience
first-hand
the impact that space exploration has on everyday life and our nation's
future.  NASA is committed to sharing its resources with our nation's
classrooms.

"NASA has a responsibility to enlighten and inspire a new generation of
scientists, engineers and technologists," said Dr. Adena Williams
Loston,
NASA Associate Administrator for Education. "Our nation needs young
people
to be our discoverers and explorers of tomorrow, and NASA needs them to
help
us explore new worlds and to improve life here on Earth. We aspire to
help
our educators do even better what they do so well: inspire and nurture
young
minds to learn and grow. Educators touch the future and by partnering
with
our educators we are working collaboratively to develop the talent pool
that
is crucial to our nation and NASA."

The teachers' schedule includes lectures from scientists about space
exploration, the International Space Station, the Space Shuttle and
current
NASA research. They will also enjoy a multi-faceted experience
consisting of
mission training, mission simulation, a water-survival aviation
challenge,
robotics and science demonstrations, a look at rocket construction and
dozens of other events. They will spend July 28 touring the Marshall
Center
and meeting with center director David King.

Teacher of the Year winners are selected by each state's education
department on the basis of nominations by students, teachers,
principals,
and school district administrators throughout the states. The program,
which
began in 1952, is considered the top honor in recognizing and rewarding
teaching excellence.

"Educators have one of the world's most important jobs," said Jim
Pruitt,
Marshall Center manager of the education programs department. "Marshall
salutes their hard work and dedication to children. NASA's mission
statement
dedicates the agency to "inspire the
next generation of explorers, and we believe that partnering with
teachers
is vital to this element," Pruitt said.

For more information about NASA Education programs. please visit:

http://education.nasa.gov/

For more information about International Space Camp, please visit:

http://spacecamp.com