Re: ISS Packet

Terry and Roger.....

Yes, it is unfortunate that the packet system is down!
It is too bad that there was never a back-up plan :(
Seeing the Shuttle program is grounded till who knows when,
the payload of Amateur Radio might be on the back burner for a year once the
shuttles start flying again.
There is the Russian Progress ships too, but again Amateur Radio in not a
priority.

I too used the packet system with APRS for the school kids, as it was EASIER
than waiting in line for a school QSO, which could take a long time to
coordinate, thus the class and or plans would be history by the time our
turn would come along.

I had a school schedule with MIR and was all ready for the class, but it
never happened because that is when there was the fire on MIR.
The kids were so disappointed....
Too much work and coordination for another disappointment..

Packet (was) there and reliable on MIR, and I used it all the time for demos
for prospective HAMS.
I (was) doing the same thing with ISS until the TNC failure.
By the way, I recruited 6 people to become HAMS with my MIR demos, so it
works in the Aww factor to get a HAM ticket..

One of these years HAM Radio on ISS will be functioning again with more
projects to come!
I am surely awaiting that year when ARISS is able to ship up some of their
neat projects!

If we forget about ISS, these projects will happen before we know it.
If we anticipate when it will happen, we will be waiting a long time!!

73, Scott