Re: ISS Packet

On 22 Jun 2003 at 10:03, RogerKola@aol.com wrote:

> Hi All...
>
> Is there and "official" theory, determination, idea or story line which
> explains what is thought to be happening with the ISS packet system?
>
> It seems that when activated it runs for a very short time and quits...any
> feedback from above on the status they find the gear in prior to restarting it?
> Computer or hardware related?
>
> I personally just feel out of the loop here and I know many efforts have been
> made to resolve the situation and I wonder if there is any progress to report?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Roger
> WA1KAT

It was not my goal to resurect an old thread but i found in my archives the following taken from ground
instructions to ISS before an ARISS contact.

Setup Date/Time:    About 5 minutes before rise time.

* Before the contact, please disable the packet module! *

Set Date/Time:      Pass is approximately ten minutes in duration.
ISS callsign to be used:   NA1SS
Primary ISS channel:     C1   Please make sure the microphone is close  to  the Backup ISS channel:
 C2   mouth so as to provide proper audio evels!

Notes:
 -English is the language expected to be used in the contact.
 -If you call the school or are having trouble establishing contact,
 please announce which channel you are using.

 -The entire crew is invited to participate as long as they use the NA1SS callsign.

-After contact please leave radio on and tuned to channel B6 with packet  module powered on and enabled.

 Please note they hightlight:

" BEFORE THE CONTACT, PLEASE DISABLE THE PACKET MODULE"

and at the end:

 "-After contact please leave radio on and tuned to channel B6 with packet  module powered on and enabled."

QUESTIONS:

1-If something is not working why asking to turn it off an on?
2-If something is not working why giving instructions about it?
3-If its a copy paste bad editing i hope it's not the way they received all their intructions?
4-They probably simply not want to be bothered with the box full of messages asking replys?
5-6 months later...as the last message from Frank Bauer says "please do not be surprised if our packet system
is not turned on for a bit longer" How long is "A bit longer"?

Probably theses notes where not intended for MOLDU'S...

Here the last message from  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO back in feb 9 2003

All,

Over the past few weeks the ARISS team has received numerous queries as to
when the packet system will be turned back on.  We want to thank you all
for your concern in getting this important capability up and running
again.  We realize that it has been down since around the first of the
year.  We have been working hard with our NASA (U.S.) and Energia (Russian)
colleagues to get this operational again, but have only been successful in
getting it turned on for about 1 orbit.

I want you to be aware that there are several things that may continue to
impede the packet startup.  1)  The progress vehicle docked with ISS this
past week and the crew is currently unpacking and stowing about a ton of
equipment, 2)  Parts for the "Glovebox," the science equipment that broke
down in December, were delivered on this progress flight.  One of the high
priority items for the crew will be to fix this device and get the Glovebox
science program started again, 3) The crew is working with their mission
control counterparts on  schedule changes that have occurred due to the
Columbia accident.

Given these items that are on their plates and the fact that this crew is
not as engaged in ham radio as Valery was on the last Expedition, please do
not be surprised if our packet system is not turned on for a bit
longer.  Also, once it is operational again, I would suggest just use the
system in unproto mode since the Expedition 6 crew has not been reading the
e-mail on the packet system.

I hope this helps explain the matter.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
AMSAT V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs
Chairman, ARISS International

P.S. please note that i'm not commenting just asking simple and easy questions

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator
          http://www.qsl.net/ve2dwe/