Re: The Strange Physics of Foam

On 10 Jun 2003 at 5:47, Arthur Z Rowe wrote:

> Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC
>

> Subject: The Strange Physics of Foam
>
> NASA Science News for June 9, 2003
>
> What's made mostly of gas, a dash of liquid, and acts like a springy
> solid?  Foams. Foams are so common we seldom appreciate how strange they
> are.  Scientists are designing an experiment for the International Space
> Station to investigate the puzzling physics of these everyday
> substances.
>
> FULL STORY at
>
> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/09jun_foam.htm?list950329

I was not too far away with my school grader expirement weeks ago! As we see now that foam alone can be so
damageable

As an experienced i put 2"X1" pieces of styrofoam into a water bowl (¼" of water) put the bowl in the
freezer overnight and i try to separate ice from pieces of styrofoam the day after.

Results: due to the porous nature of styrofoam it bound firmly with ice makin it hard to separate. When
ice is broken each pieces of strofoam where still attached to ¼" thick ice  making it not a piece of foam
but a piece of ice. When throwing with enough force even a smal chunk of this composite material on a
light bulb it breaks the bulb.

It is far from a scientific experience but convince me that ice bound firmly to foam, dont know type of foam
on the external thank's but i can imagine at high speed these ice bits can hit structures quite hard.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator
          http://www.qsl.net/ve2dwe/