Re: ESA TO LAUNCH A MISSION TO MARS

Unfortunately many press releases misses an important point.

Mars Express is primarily an 'orbiter' mission with a wealth of
instruments which will probe the planet around the pericentre
of each elliptical orbit of the probe.
The Beagle lander, added later to the mission, will have a much
shorter mission than that of the orbiter.

It may be noteworthy the fact that Mars Express hosts instruments
which were lost during the Mars-96 Russian attempt. In addition to
them there is the Italian/US radar sounder, MARSIS, which is the
first planetary sounder radar launched since the experiment flown
on Apollo 17. Aim of MARSIS is that to probe below the surface
of Mars and try and discover deposits of water. This is one of
the primary scientific objectives of the entire mission.

Radioamateurs may be interested in knowing that MARSIS operates
around 4 MHz and, therefore, it sports two very wide antennas:
a 40 meters dipole (two 20m arms) and one 7 meters monopole. The
antennas will be deployed after Mars orbit has been reached successfully.

Please check the ESA Mars Express web page for more details on
this very exciting mission, now on its way in interplanetary transfer
orbit after a successful launch.

73s

Fabrizio Bernardini, FBIS, I0QIT
MARSIS Team